I Forge Iron

10 hours ago, matto said:

I will gladly post again, made by Brent Baily, one of my main forging hammers was made by Crazy Ivan.  Can't find the pic.  Will get another one.  It is a 3lb diagonal pein.  Can't find it he pic of the rest of my hammers either.  

image.jpeg

Saw your post about the hammer rack, you have a generous amount   of hammers!

8 hours ago, jducharme said:

Peter man, great dog head and the BB hammer looks great

Matto, your sledge and matching hand hammer look great,  very nice!  Love that anvil too. 

Thank you! Lyle Wynn made the rounding hammer. The dog head hammer was made by Glen from GS tongs!

Right now I like the bailey cross pein better swings a lot like a Nordic.  The aspery modified takes alittle getting use to.  It swings very much like a Swedish.

if you use your dog head much you might really like the aspery.  I also use the modified a lot.  Has such great balance. 

So most forging is done with the Baily cross pein and the modified as a rounding.   

My three main hammers (L-R): The Beast, a 3-lb. engineer's reground as a rounding hammer, and my old Sears Craftsman cross peen. 

image.jpeg

Also, a wrought iron hammer I picked up at a junk shop and rehandled. I use this as a soft hammer on top tools. 

image.jpeg

28 minutes ago, Crazy Ivan said:

I use my 6 lber and my 3.5 lber the most. That and my 10 and 14. All of them are used daily. I can only find a pic of my 6 lber right now though. Made by me. 

IMG_20160905_195151.jpg

I swear this hammer is hollow though, it feels like swinging a 3# hammer... I know what kinda hammer I want now :ph34r:

My main hammer is the a diagonal peen (left in the first picture) weighs about 2.5-2.75 haven't weighed it. And I've been using a 3# cross peen for my normal work, both forged by me. Been using a 7 or 8# strait peen for larger work but I don't have a pic of that handy.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

My main heavy hitter, four pounds if iron glory.  I bought the head off a guy on the internet and have only ever seen two other hammers with similar design characteristics.  The round nose punch was purchased from a museum that was clearing out their storage area.  No telling where she came from or was designed for, but she does a great job at dimpling things.

IMG_3152.jpg

I have more hammers than you can poke a stick at, 40 odd years of handyman carpentry and welding activities to thank for that - but as I only started playing with a forge a little while ago, of course I had to buy new hammers for working hot metal, truly, not much use for peined hammers in my other endeavours  :) .  (I did have a couple of ball peins, but they were not the right sort - or so I told the wife.... ).

I have more hammers than you can poke a stick at, 40 odd years of handyman carpentry and welding activities to thank for that - but as I only started playing with a forge a little while ago, of course I had to buy new hammers for working hot metal, truly, not much use for peined hammers in my other endeavours  :) .  (I did have a couple of ball peins, but they were not the right sort - or so I told the wife.... ).

• 3 weeks later...

First up is a 12lb Plumb, aka "the persuader". Next is a 4lb Kelly Tru-Temper. Next is a 4lb 6oz rounding hammer struck by me and made by Lyle Wynn. This is the hammer I use the most by far. Next is a 2lb 2oz rounding hammer struck by me and made by one of Lyles students at the "Tools to make Tools with" course he teaches. Next is a 1000g Peddinghaus Swedish pattern. Very nice hammer for the money. Just a little doming on the face and easing the cross peen and it was good to go. The handle is fatter than I like but it was good straight grain hickory so I scraped the varnish off, oiled it and put it to work. I may end up slabbing the sides but with minimal mods it's a keeper.Next up, a couple of Craftsman ball-peens. One is 24oz, the other 8oz. I actually use the 8oz more than you would think. Its great for peening small digits and the tiny ball produces a nice texture on small hooks and widgets. Last is a pair of unknown origins. The drilling hammer is mostly used for tapping on spring swages and punching but I did dome one face on the off chance it's ever the only one within easy reach and I don't want to loose a heat. The cross peen has no makers mark but is stamped 1000, presumably the weight in grams. It is of better quality steel than the drilling hammer and does see a little action from time to time. That is nowhere close to all of them ( I do have a bit of a hammer addiction) but those are the most frequently used.

IMG_20161007_154336.jpg

IMG_20161007_154421.jpg

IMG_20161007_154438.jpg

IMG_20161007_154459.jpg

IMG_20161007_154547.jpg

IMG_20161007_154605.jpg

IMG_20161007_154631.jpg

IMG_20161007_154706.jpg

IMG_20161007_154756.jpg

2 hours ago, TwistedCustoms said:

First up is a 12lb Plumb, aka "the persuader". Next is a 4lb Kelly Tru-Temper. Next is a 4lb 6oz rounding hammer struck by me and made by Lyle Wynn. This is the hammer I use the most by far. Next is a 2lb 2oz rounding hammer struck by me and made by one of Lyles students at the "Tools to make Tools with" course he teaches. Next is a 1000g Peddinghaus Swedish pattern. Very nice hammer for the money. Just a little doming on the face and easing the cross peen and it was good to go. The handle is fatter than I like but it was good straight grain hickory so I scraped the varnish off, oiled it and put it to work. I may end up slabbing the sides but with minimal mods it's a keeper.Next up, a couple of Craftsman ball-peens. One is 24oz, the other 8oz. I actually use the 8oz more than you would think. Its great for peening small digits and the tiny ball produces a nice texture on small hooks and widgets. Last is a pair of unknown origins. The drilling hammer is mostly used for tapping on spring swages and punching but I did dome one face on the off chance it's ever the only one within easy reach and I don't want to loose a heat. The cross peen has no makers mark but is stamped 1000, presumably the weight in grams. It is of better quality steel than the drilling hammer and does see a little action from time to time. That is nowhere close to all of them ( I do have a bit of a hammer addiction) but those are the most frequently used.

IMG_20161007_154336.jpg

IMG_20161007_154421.jpg

IMG_20161007_154438.jpg

IMG_20161007_154459.jpg

IMG_20161007_154547.jpg

IMG_20161007_154605.jpg

IMG_20161007_154631.jpg

IMG_20161007_154706.jpg

IMG_20161007_154756.jpg

Nice collection of hammers there

Ive got a 4.4 rounding hammer made by Lyle Wynn and Stan Bryant as well