I Forge Iron

My Latest, Critique Please

AKHunter

Blade: 1084, 7.5" long

Guard: 1084/15N20, etched in boiling lemon juice

Handle: English/black walnut graftwood

The guard doesn't fit quite as tight as I'd like, and I have a few inclusions in the damascus. I guess the plunges could be more even, and the blade isn't quite in line with the handle. Most of the pics don't show the flaws very well. Anything else that I'm overlooking?

IMG_0918 - Copy.JPGIMG_0915 - Copy.JPGIMG_0920 - Copy.JPGIMG_0921 - Copy.JPG

I am a huge fan of everything to do with that handle the shape looks really impressive and the material you chose is simply beautiful. The blade shape is my favorite part i think. Nice choice of material for the guard though if it had been me i think i would have gone with brass to match the pin you used or swapped the pin for maybe a mosaic pin with steel. All in all the knife beautiul and you should be super proud of it. I know you said guard doesnt fit as tight as you wanted but for me personally i like little imprefections in my work like that.

Very nice indeed; good, simple lines. The only criticisms I could make would be that the handle is a bit too fat for the size of the blade, which in turn makes the taper of the blade width seem a little drastic, like the knife got badly chipped at some point and was salvaged by regrinding.

I really like it, the low layer damascus is a nice touch. I agree the tapering towards the tip is a bit contradictory to the handle size, but it doesn't bother me. My only other critique would be you should have made the choil bow inwards instead of out so that it flows into the handle smoother.

Great stuff, keep forging!

I think is it pretty good.  The fit and finish don't look as bad as you make them sound.

From a design perspective, I think it would look a bit better if the ricasso was not curved on the bottom, ad was a touch longer.  I also agree that the handle is a bit over-sized.  I have had a hard time mastering that handle shape, so I'm impressed with the overall contours of the handle.  It's just about 10% bigger than it needs to be.

The damascus is low layer because that was the best I could get out of it.  It was the only piece I could salvage from my first attempt at damascus. The rest of the billet was full of tiny inclusions.  As for the handle, it feels like a good size I'm the hand. I probably could have shrunk it a tiny bit, but perhaps widening the blade a bit would have helped a bit. The blade is only an inch and a quarter at the ricasso, so it's probably a bit narrow for this style. 

As for getting the shape of the handle right, that's not me. I just look at pics until I get an idea for the general shape, make a rough sketch of it, and hand it to my wife. "Can you fix this for me?" When she's done with it, it always looks a hundred times better than what I handed her. Then I just trace it onto the wood and start in on it with a rasp and sandpaper. 

In my opinion the handle is not really oversized,....most of the knives of that style have too fragile cross sections of the handle behind the guard.

a blade of this length invites to chop sometimes, even if its lacking weight towards the tip, so this handle should have more endurance than more "elegant" rifle knives.

Filling the palm well, as a fighter should.....I like it!

Nice job overall.  The blade sweeps smoothly, and the damascus is well done. I couldn't spot the inclusions that you mentioned on my computer.

A couple of suggestions I would make that wouldn't require much for you to consider incorporating on your next blade are:

1) Don't bring your ricasso all the way down to the edge.  Let there be a step there so there is room for the blade to be ground down over the years as it gets sharpened.

2) Don't skimp on the time you spend on the guard and install it before it is finished.  Look at the guard from all angles and make sure it is pleasingly shaped, eliminating all flow elbows, and cleaning up all radiuses prior to calling it done, even if it takes an additional day. Doing so will add a lot to the finished product.

3) Great job on the handle, however as far as I can tell from the pictures, it appears a little high (above the spine) and perhaps if you had brought the ricasso up, the front of the handle could have been brought up just a bit to make it look less fat and more graceful.  I have big paws so I like big handles! I couldn't see clearly what the relationship is between the sides of the handle and the guard (flush or set back) so I won't comment on that.

Keep up the good work.

Thank you all for your criticisms, that is how I improve my work. The only inclusion that I couldn't grind out is on the underside of the guard. Here's a pic:

image.jpeg

The slight, but annoying bend in the blade/handle joint:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

And the blade and handle aren't stepped, that was just a funny angle with the camera:

image.jpeg

The last pic just cause I like it! It's probably my nicest blade yet even with all its flaws, and the wood turned out much nicer than it appeared from the original block. 

image.jpeg

Frosty, my hope is to bring several examples of my work- both finished and rough forged so you guys can see where my skills are at and what I can improve. If you'd like, I can bring pics of my equipment too. Anything else I should bring or do before coming in order to make the most of this learning opportunity?

Pics of your shop and tools might give us ideas that might help. We have a couple bladesmiths in the club. If you meet up with Mark at the fair bring your blades, he's much more into it than I am. I just like to play with fire and hit things with hammers.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2016 at 1:40 AM, metalmangeler said:

If you bring a knife on the fair grounds have it in a sealed package, I bag the ones I sell and then tape them shut otherwise security might take them, not such a good thing after you put a bunch of time into making one.

Just a point of curiosity... if people can't carry knives into the fair, can they buy one while inside and then carry it out?  Seems a little strange from a security point of view.

No, you can't carry knives at the fair but yes, a knife in a package is okay. Nobody's ever asked if I have a pocket knife nor asked if the black canvas belt pouch has a blade in it but a sheath knife is verboten.

A point of curiosity folk in Alaska have been observing since before I moved here 44 years ago and went to my first state fair. The same thinking that made the "no" knives rule also organizes parking so you have to drive all the way around the fair grounds to get to an entrance then drive all the way back, past several "exits" to the front to park. Then there's the genius who has the line for prepaid tickets on the left along a fence while those of us poor schmucks who are buying at the gate in 2 lines on the right. Once you have our ticket BOTH pay at the gate lines have to cross THROUGH the prepaid line.

Would you like more examples? Traffic control is a wonder indeed!

Frosty The Lucky.