I Forge Iron

Band saw steel quality

Hey guys, I work in an industrial forge shop.    There are tons of scraps laying around, so practice material is no issue.    We also use several enormous bandsaws, from which the used blades are also freely available.  

My question to you is this: is it tool steel?   has anyone used bandsaw steel, laminated or otherwise, for cutting edges or other tool steel related applications?

Thanks in advance!!!

It depends; if it's a bimetallic blade it might not be "tool steel" for most of the blade.  It might be similar to L6 it might be a dozen other alloys---Hey I have a car; is it a Ford????

I use a lot of bandsaw blade for laminating with pallet strapping  and I test both components *first* by heating and quenching in water and breaking.  If both break with little force needed I know that they will make a cutting edge---as long as I don't decarburize them too much during the forge welding.  (folding and welding LOWERS the carbon content generally!)

18 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

It depends; if it's a bimetallic blade it might not be "tool steel" for most of the blade.  It might be similar to L6 it might be a dozen other alloys---Hey I have a car; is it a Ford????

I use a lot of bandsaw blade for laminating with pallet strapping  and I test both components *first* by heating and quenching in water and breaking.  If both break with little force needed I know that they will make a cutting edge---as long as I don't decarburize them too much during the forge welding.  (folding and welding LOWERS the carbon content generally!)

That's good info thanks,  I'll cook some up and just see what happens.  I have access to hundreds of linear feet of this stuff,  it would be a fantastic resource if it heat treats well. 

24 minutes ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

A lot of metal cutting bandsaw blades have high cobalt HSS teeth. Those may cause a forge welding issue. 

Yeah my thinking was that I'd remove the tooth section of the blade, and try the spine.     These things are like 4 inches wide 1/16 thick and 16 feet long.  I'll be darned if they don't kill three of them per day. 

Limitless steel.   I hope it's worth using. 

4 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Will you have it at Quad-State?  Cut in 1 foot lengths it would make good selling material.

Probably showing my ignorance here but I don't know what you mean by quad state. 

4 minutes ago, Michael Cochran said:

I never complain about free steel. You can send me whatever you feel like boxing up and I'll let you know what I figure out.

Pm me an address and I'll send you a slice when I'm done moving to my new place.  Right in the middle of a home purchase. 

Quad-State Blacksmiths Round-Up, last full weekend in September in Troy Ohio, USA; largest annual Blacksmithing conference in the USA if not the world and full of people selling or trading stuff as once you've paid entry anyone can sell as well as attend the multiple demo's going on   I'm driving about 1500 (each way!) miles to attend

3 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Quad-State Blacksmiths Round-Up, last full weekend in September in Troy Ohio, USA; largest annual Blacksmithing conference in the USA if not the world and full of people selling or trading stuff as once you've paid entry anyone can sell as well as attend the multiple demo's going on   I'm driving about 1500 (each way!) miles to attend

Wow nice. 

shapeless red felt hat with horns and on Friday, weather permitting, lederhosen and an aloha shirt...other than that Glasses, middle aged, portly, bearded---just doesn't narrow it down much  Oh Yes during the official event my Nametag saying Thomas Powers is a dead giveaway...

PM sent.

I have about a hundred pounds of .040" x ~1.1" bi-metal, for sawing up to and including superalloys. Very handy stuff. It is great for limited travel springs, fixturing shims, and use your imagination. There is a local company here that has used Pacific Northwest lumber mill blade to to produce knives via stock removal only.

Robert Taylor

• 2 months later...
On 8/9/2016 at 8:53 PM, ThomasPowers said:

I generally cut mine using a pair of bull dog tinsnips---short jaws and rated for "alloy steel"  I cut from the softer back and let the harder front---tooth edge break off

Folded flat most bandsaw blades snap.