I Forge Iron

I need an anvil

Do you have acces to any large pieces of scrap steel? Any railroad rail, large axles, heavy equipment hammers? What kind of projects will you be working on, you didn't mention so I could assume any number of possible anvils would work. A simple block of steel is more than adequate for most types of smithing.

Beatsy, 

I was looking at the Michigan CAT location (24800 Novi Rd, Novi, MI 48375) using Google earth and I see what may be one or more good prospects for a scrap bin. I went to my local CAT rental place and they were nice enough to give me 2 forks that weigh about 180# each. The rental side is always needing to change out the forks because try as they might not everyone can drive a forklift. 

Just a thought. 

Thanks for the replys in regards to the type of work I will be doing is anything I  can learn by hand so knives, artistic, wind chimes, dinner bell ect. So pretty much anything not real heavy. 

As far as heavy equipment rental. I didn't think of that I will have to check it out for a stump anvil I could see something like that work just fine . So thanks for the reply. 

I realize that an anvil is not necessary for forging ,i.e I was just trying to get something to help me and at the same time help someone else Wether it be trade for coal,fire brick,castables or any other refractory material I have an abundance of.

I was hoping someone that is established in Blacksmithing and has a few anvils or even other tools laying around not in use that thewould be willing to help someone who is just getting started. 

Either way, thanks for the advice I will have to explore some of the rentals near me. 

57 minutes ago, Beatsy' s Forge said:

I realize that an anvil is not necessary for forging

an anvil is necessary for forging. Though you don't need a London pattern anvil, only a block of steel.

Littleblacksmith

I can't remember now who said it but I know it was one of the wise ones. 'If you can beat hot metal on it, it is a real anvil.'

2 hours ago, natenaaron said:

Big chunk of steel and a piece of railroad track is working just dandy for me.  Would I scrap it all in an instant for a real anvil? of course but until then these work fine.

Yeah, gonna have to dog pile on you for THAT one. An anvil is an absolute MUST for forging, anything you beat things on is an anvil. No, that is not a joke nor a "technicality" even slapping dirty laundry on a rock makes the rock an anvil.

The London pattern anvil is a recent invention IIRC about 200 years old or so and humans have been forging metal since nuggets of : gold, copper, silver, lead, etc. were discovered to be workable. You can't forge anything without laying it on an anvil.

Frosty The Lucky.

I mentioned anvil in the London patern. Not literally not needing an anvil in general I have been exploring other options. I have a RR track currently just simply don't like it. So I have found a few places to find large pieces of steel, as far as what to look for I was thinking heavy equipment forks, bucket pins, axle or should I be looking at other heavy equipment options? I was thinking these might suit me better.the reason for not caring for the RR is a preference thing or more than likely my piece is just not flat enough for me. Either way thank for the ridicul it is welcome and suitable for the stupidity of the topic. So thanks for the pointers,advice, knowledge and everything else that was given.I am looking tomorrow if something is found it will be posted .

Thanks 

Another option are machine shops or fabrication shops. There is one out by me that is friendly and will sell their leftover stock. They have it arranged pretty orderly and marked or they know what it is. I have seen big chunks of 4140 and other steels that would probably make a great anvil. If there are any around give them a call and ask. They are happy to get paid twice for material and usually sell the leftover stock for less then any steel supplier. 

On Saturday, July 30, 2016 at 9:16 PM, eseemann said:

Beatsy, 

I was looking at the Michigan CAT location (24800 Novi Rd, Novi, MI 48375) using Google earth and I see what may be one or more good prospects for a scrap bin. I went to my local CAT rental place and they were nice enough to give me 2 forks that weigh about 180# each. The rental side is always needing to change out the forks because try as they might not everyone can drive a forklift. 

Just a thought. 

Just now, Beatsy' s Forge said:

I have quite a few shops around me I will give it a try thanks for the advice. 

1 minute ago, Beatsy' s Forge said:

I have quite a few shops around me I will give it a try thanks for the advice. 

6 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Another option are machine shops or fabrication shops. There is one out by me that is friendly and will sell their leftover stock. They have it arranged pretty orderly and marked or they know what it is. I have seen big chunks of 4140 and other steels that would probably make a great anvil. If there are any around give them a call and ask. They are happy to get paid twice for material and usually sell the leftover stock for less then any steel supplier. 

Thanks for the reply I will look into it. 

4"x4"x 51/2"......I have London Pattern anvils also. But the one pictured is my favorite. I rarely if ever used the horn or hardy tools, so I never miss them. I always made scrolls and such off the edge of the anvil. All I ever used, was the face directly above the waist. So, I eventually just got down to what I actually used, so to speak.