I Forge Iron

New quench tank

Here is a new quench tank I finished up to hold the parks 50 quench. After hearing about two other Smiths who shop burned down in the last year , I figured I'd make this one right with a wheeled base and with a hinged lid that flips down in case of fire. I also made my first forged hinge to fit on the tank.

20160719_102838_Richtone(HDR)_PerfectlyClear.jpg

20160719_103026_Richtone(HDR)_PerfectlyClear.jpg

20160717_092148_PerfectlyClear.jpg

But but but....how will you align it north-south to make sure the molecules in your blade align properly to prevent magnetic distortion?!??

(hopefully more than 1/10th of the people here will still understand that snark)

Kozzy, Kozzy, Kozzy ; don't you know that Frank always quenchs his blades at the magnetic north pole and so the circular quench tank is concentric with the magnetic axis!  (Unfortunately he is not accounting for the coriolis forces or the cosmic rays...which HISTORICALLY everyone just ignored and did perfectly fine...) 

Thomas, Thomas, Thomas: Folk who ignored cosmic rays and Van Allen resonance were only successful if they quenched on a Ley line intersection. The rest weren't historical, they were hysterical.

About quench tanks, I like that one, a dropped piece isn't going to poke a hole in it, it closes tight and looks stable. I have a 15gl. grease barrel in a cut down 55gl. drum. I put a piece of plate in the bottom as a puncture shield, the oil barrel has a lid and the 55gl drum has a lid. The whole lash up is to prevent punctures and contain a boil over.

Frosty The Lucky.

Now I hope that it has a wire mesh "basket" in the bottom with an attached rod that comes up to just under the lid so if a piece gets dropped it can be pulled out easily.  If you offset the basket from the bottom slightly a dropped blade can't impact the tip and so avoid messing it up...

Frosty if you keep giving away our secrets the Secret Order of Secrecy will have to come visit you and tear off a corner of your invisible membership card!

6 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Now I hope that it has a wire mesh "basket" in the bottom with an attached rod that comes up to just under the lid so if a piece gets dropped it can be pulled out easily.  If you offset the basket from the bottom slightly a dropped blade can't impact the tip and so avoid messing it up...

Frosty if you keep giving away our secrets the Secret Order of Secrecy will have to come visit you and tear off a corner of your invisible membership card!

I'm not giving them away, I accept donations secretly. Go ahead comeback, visit I'll host a closed door Secret  Order of Secrecy secret meeting at an undisclosed Lie Leyne location.

Frosty The . . . Shhhhh.

Only reason Alaska is not an eastern state was some gerrymandering of the international date line...  But when the South pole is right up there all the Australians have generations of jokes about "falling off" and "standing on your heads" they have been saving up just waiting for the polar flip.  And we're due for one!  By an oddity some of the early polar flip data came from searching for enemy subs off the west coast of the USA.  Towing a magnetometer somebody started  noticing "stripes" in the data and then noticed that they were mirrored along a spreading center and they finally came up with the magnetic field flips at intervals and lava cooling through the curie point takes on the field at that time so areas that match the current orientation show stronger than areas that are reversed.   (sorry my inner geologist sneaks out at times...)

Fact is if Alaska were to be an Eastern State it'd be an Eastern Asian State.

That the mid Atlantic ridge hunting for German wolf packs. They read it like a bar code from orbit now. Polarity flips have been traced a long way back and are used to date ancient strata, fossils, etc. In a bit of circuitous logic you can use the bar code patterns to track where continents were when.

If it flips again soon, folk in Alaska will just tell folk where we are and where they can go. There are places here you can't trust a magnetic compass without knowing the correction to true. North, South, East, West, it doesn't matter if you're an Alaskan. B)

Frosty The Lucky.

10 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Only reason Alaska is not an eastern state was some gerrymandering of the international date line...  But when the South pole is right up there all the Australians have generations of jokes about "falling off" and "standing on your heads" they have been saving up just waiting for the polar flip.  And we're due for one!  By an oddity some of the early polar flip data came from searching for enemy subs off the west coast of the USA.  Towing a magnetometer somebody started  noticing "stripes" in the data and then noticed that they were mirrored along a spreading center and they finally came up with the magnetic field flips at intervals and lava cooling through the curie point takes on the field at that time so areas that match the current orientation show stronger than areas that are reversed.   (sorry my inner geologist sneaks out at times...)

Thomas, my being a (retired) geologist by profession as well, here is an interesting sidelight to the magnetometer discovery.  Under the guise of oceanographic research, Naval Research Labs had been towing marine magnetometers up and down the offshore California coast. (Ref: Robert Dill who lectured one of our classes and had been a "consultant" to the NRL on the geology of their "zebra stripes" discoveries.) The real reason that the magnetometers were being used was research on the use of them to detect Russian subs that could/would hide in the numerous submarine canyons off the coast during the Cold War, being very close to land and otherwise undetectable.  Dill, et. al. were significant researchers who contributed to the interpretation regarding sea floor spreading and mirror image records of same.  The mirror image magnetic anomalies pretty well put the anti-continental drift advocates to bed.

23 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Wrong war, wrong submarines. We were just learning how to listen for them in WWII weren't we. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

I don't get your drift (no pun intended...).  According to Prof. Dill, who was intimately involved in the "project", that was the case with the magnetometers.  It's my understanding that the nuclear subs are much quieter than the old WWII subs and the magnetometers were a new tool for detecting them.

Yes I was stuck on the mid Atlantic ridge pole reversal evidence and got subs mixed up. Russian subs were much quieter than anybody's WWII diesel electrics but they're still pretty noisy when they move so hiding in littoral waters and listening to us is the mode. Even then our subs were enough quieter we could creep around a lot more. Still laying on or near the bottom is about the best chance of going undetected.

What pun? (deleted sonar pun)

Frosty The Lucky.

The "drift" pun, or lack of it....like in drifting in open waters.  Can't believe you missed getting a pun thread going!!!  Must have caught you napping, Frosty!!

Actually, it's interesting now that Google has bathymetry (sp?) in the oceans mapped.  Go to Google Earth or Google maps and look offshore western U.S.  You can see the ridges offset by shear/strike faults.  You'll go blind trying to match them up, though.  Same for the Atlantic.  Pretty amazing stuff.

OK, so you WEREN'T napping....very good!  

Only on IFI can one transcend from a quench tank to magnetic anomalies and continental drift with a few puns thrown in for good measure...what a versatile forum!!! :wacko:

East and west poles flip as well for the Salmon????  I'll have to set up to be adopted by an indigenous tribe so I can spear them as they go through the Panama canal....Maybe if the Rio Grand rift ever makes up it's mind to be a spreading center I can get in some ocean fishing locally; the hunting has just not been the same since the paleolithic megafauna went away; got a big stack of bones from them at the Blackwater Draw site near Clovis....(Historically speaking....)

3 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

East and west poles flip as well for the Salmon????  I'll have to set up to be adopted by an indigenous tribe so I can spear them as they go through the Panama canal....

Well it is kind of a gigantic fish ladder :-)  

Never heard of Atlantic Salmon? It's good eating if you like salmon, not my favorite fish but Silvers are good,  more like trout.

Gee Thomas, were there mega tuna too? I'd love a slice of ton'O fish sandwich. Mmmmmm.

Don't worry Steve, just pivot your quench tank till blades come out straight and align your anvil to match.

What you'll be able to tell when aurora show's up overhead is there was a CME Coronal Mass Ejection. The power going off for everybody is another clue. Around dec.1996 I stopped in the eastern Washington desert to watch meteors and the aurora was a wavery green haze in the north. It was a great night, I had a thermos of hot coffee, a lounge chair, nibbles and the Bronco radio tuned to an oldy rock station. After about half an hour coyotes stopped by to check me out, a brave one actually sniffed me and they surrounded me to sing. Wicked cool night, Kodak moments galore.

Frosty The Lucky.