I Forge Iron

New quench tank

On July 22, 2016 at 4:07 PM, Frosty said:

Never heard of Atlantic Salmon? It's good eating if you like salmon, not my favorite fish but Silvers are good,  more like trout.

Frosty The Lucky.

Yes, I like silvers the best. We were out in resurrection bay last week but it was still a bit early and the silvers were not really biting. Had better luck with reds in the kenai and didnt have to deal with anybody getting seasick. Aurora will have to wait until winter but it was a great time in gods country. 

Reds run earlier and everything is running a little early this year, kings are starting to show up on the Russian and Kenai rivers. Silvers are almost always around but not really hitting a lure til a little later. Are you coming back for the aurora? I'd wait for another good activity year, the recent solar minimum should be about over but I don't predict weather let alone solar weather.

Frosty The Lucky.

We have family there and have been going to visit since the early 90s. The kids want to see aurora so I might plan a Thanksgiving or Christmas visit another year. Thanks for the reminder to consider the solar cycle. I forget it impacts other things than just RF propagation. 

Cool, down on the Kenai I take it, nice country. Plan on Nov. Dec. Jan. for best length of dark for watching. I don't know what the light pollution is like on the Kenai. Anchorage and Wasilla have it pretty well glared out here but another 50 miles or so up the Parks puts you in dark sky country. You just need to get around the end of the Talkeetna Mtns. and the communities become pretty small.

There are a number of live video aurora watching sites online and there are daily aurora forcasts. folk here and everywhere like it when lights dance in the sky.

Frosty The Lucky.