I Forge Iron

Stag Handled Damascus Bowie

Jspool

Here is a Stag handled bowie I just finished up.  Ladder damascus is 1084/15n20 at RC62.  Guard and pommel are 200 yr old heat blued wrought iron.

I learned a lot of recovery techniques on this one!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

53 minutes ago, John in Oly, WA said:

Beautiful work! If I may ask, what method do you use for your ladder Damascus? And what is the width of the "hills and valleys" or grooves?

28 layers of 1084 and 15n20.  Welded and drawn out. cut into 4. Those are welded, drawn and cut into 4, and then one more time for the process.

My ladder dies are made from 5/16 round stock with top and bottom offset.  Once the grooves are set, I ground the billet flat.

I do my own leather work so don't look too close. I really quite a beginner at it and my cutting, stamping, and sewing skills leave a lot to be desired. When I want a real sheath I go to Paul Long. He's quite s master.

The sheath looks pretty darn good to me.

Oh boy! :rolleyes: Add one more big thing to learn in this endeavor I've started myself on. But hey! There has to be some more cool tools to acquire or make in the process, huh?!

Let's see:
arc welding, hydraulics, die making and forge press operation, refractory and forge building, gas burners, metallurgy, heat treating, tempering, annealing, hammering and metal shaping techniques, forge welding, and leatherworking. Check.

I must be missing something or 12 in this list.

On July 15, 2016 at 10:02 AM, John in Oly, WA said:

The sheath looks pretty darn good to me.

Oh boy! :rolleyes: Add one more big thing to learn in this endeavor I've started myself on. But hey! There has to be some more cool tools to acquire or make in the process, huh?!

Let's see:
arc welding, hydraulics, die making and forge press operation, refractory and forge building, gas burners, metallurgy, heat treating, tempering, annealing, hammering and metal shaping techniques, forge welding, and leatherworking. Check.

I must be missing something or 12 in this list.

engraving scrollwork, woodworking, machining

59 minutes ago, Redneck carp's-tongue said:

Wow! That is one of the most beautiful blades I have seen on this site.

I wonder, what wood is the handle made of?

The handle isn't wood. It is Sambar stag from India