I Forge Iron

Basic Clip point

Malice9610

Started this knife last month, I would call it about 96% complete at this point. Needs some clean up sanding on the blade and tang areas of the handle. and needs to be sharpened. 

5160 steel, Bubinga for the handle,4 inch blade at 1/4 inch thick.

I am a bit bent on the pins, the Epoxy I used for this one wasnt clear, so there are little half moons on the pins where the epoxy seeped through. however I am quite happy with this knife otherwise. 

20160612_165454.thumb.jpg.3a0b8d77f93396

20160612_165515.thumb.jpg.733408daf7d6ef

20160612_165526.thumb.jpg.a7a56a55fd4bc0

Frosty..... 

As always, You have a brilliantly simple solution that I had never even thought of....

Someone hand this man a beer like pronto!

And Charles, I am sure you would, This one is likely durable enough to handle it fairly well. 

I"m a simple guy, long winded but simple. :) It's a trick I picked up from the guy doing finish carpentry in the house, he just got incredibly carried away making filled things disappear.

I'll gladly accept that beer if we ever meet up. B)

Frosty The Lucky.

• 4 weeks later...

Aside from Frosty's suggestion of staining the epoxy, Which I might not have much luck on in a dryed state, and some clean up due to scratching it during sharpening, this one is now done. 

Now my question, which might seem a bit odd. 

20160711_001821.jpg

20160711_001828.jpg

is asking 75.00 for this knife underselling myself, or asking too much? 

I need to make some money off this hobby in the near future, So I can afford Kaowool and Plistix for my propane forge before the weather turns ugly here in Utah, and I am hoping to make enough in the next few months from this hobby to afford an Evenheat kiln so I can do stock removal knives year round. 

And Frosty, I have been looking at land up in Alaska recently, My dad would like to retire there, and I have found land there to be dirt cheap compared to land here in the Utah wilds, so I am thinking if I do buy any land, its going to be in Alaska, yay for stock options bought at 2/3rds the company stock value. 

Yeah, I do need to still make a sheath for it, unfortunately all I have at the moment is Kydex for the sheath, Need to get some leather and some leatherworking tools in the very near future, seen quite a few knives with leather sheaths where there is just as much work put into the sheath as there is the knife, which I am sure would help me add value to my work. once i get half way decent at it. 

and i do plan to sand the scratches out from sharpening , I think at the end during the sharpening process I got a little rushed which is why one side is scratched up, and the other is not, the girlfriend was on her way home from work, and wanted to leave to get food right after she got home, and when she says be ready to go ( And when she gets home from work ) she expects me to be done working on knives for the night. 

And thanks guys, I will get a sheath made up for it, and do as Steve says, and ask $110.00 for it and see if I cant sell it for that, If I can, I can afford to get my propane forge done in one shot. which will be nice, I really wanna give another go at pattern welding and have had mixed results attempting it with Charcoal. 

Acetone dissolves epoxy resin. Use it with a very light touch to protect adjacent non=glue areas.

I have used a toothpick for areas that have very small diameters That helps limit the amount of solvent applied. Chewing the end of the tip allows more liquid absorption. It doesn't hurt to try a dry run before treating the knife.

SLAG.

Edited by SLAG
added more information

'Post script:

The best cheapest way to acquire leather crafting tools is to haunt yard sales. They come up for sale, from time to time. The sets seem to be bought as gifts for people or on a whim, and many recipients or buyers never get around to using them. So eventually, they end up on sale tables. That strategy works fine if you're not in a hurry. Estate sales sell them from time to time too. It took me a while to realize that there are web sites that list local area yard sales and also estate sales.

SLAG.

Charles you are right!

as usual, and I am chagrinned. Sigh. very embarrassed, even.

Perhaps I forgot about the screamingly obvious, because I had amassed an enormous collection of leather, & saddlery tools long before I ever hammered hot iron.

(use them to repair shoes for me & the family) (also make knife sheaths).

Regards to you & the misses.

SLAG.

3 hours ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

But being a poor boy (and preversly enjoying doing things the hard way) I make a lot of stuff that would be less expensive to make.

You MAKE a lot of stuff that would be less expensive to . . . MAKE?

Uh. . . I'll have to get back to you on that.

Frosty The Lucky.

Mmm hmmm, itty tiny keyboard like things is one main reason I don't text on my phone. The keyboard on my lap top is compact enough for me to miss-key almost constantly. I REALLY miss the slightly heavier keys with pronounced tits and detent feel when depressed enough to register to the computer. Seriously I spend as much or more time sifting through posts for typos and miss-keys than writing them.

One of the real banes of the "new model?" keyboards is the lack of tits on the F and J keys so a person HAS to look at the keyboard to be in position. The other really sucky serious bane in conjunction with no tits is how close the "CTRL" key is to the normal typing position. It's just TOO EASY to hit the CTRL key when you want a capital . . . whatever and get sent into some zombie byte zone where nothing you've entered will come out alive or will just reprogram your computer.

It's really common to see folks posts, bolded and in larger or sometimes . . . interesting fonts for no good reason. Oops I wanted a capital B, not CTRL B or whatever. And lord help those who make the mistake of enabling auto spell and grammar correct! :angry:

End rant. I now return control of your screen to you for your enjoyment of some of the truly creative spelling and grammar presented here for our edification and bemusement. :blink:

Frosty The Lucky.