I Forge Iron

Post drill rough pricing

I went out to the boonies with some folks from the local agricultural museum yesterday to pull some equipment that had been donated out of the bushes..eventually for restoration and display.  Although the museum already has an excellent post drill in it's smithing shop, since there was a reasonably decent one tossed on the old farmer's "someday" pile we went ahead and loaded it with some other smalls.  The notion was that I could buy it from the museum (or someone else could if they wanted).

I don't keep up on prices of these so was hoping for a suggested value--remembering the museum is a non-profit and I want to be fair.  It's a Champion Blower and Forge model, in decent restorable shape although not perfect.  Since it's still tied in the back of my truck with the gas pump and other smalls, this was the best photo I could get.  It's a little larger than your average farm post drill, appears to have been originally designed for a belt drive rather than hand crank, and has a rack and pinion for the table lift.  Table is gone though.  I can't seem to find a matching pic on google to show the model and right now I can't read any model number off the frame casting.

Yes, I know it's a shot in the dark at this point.  Just looking for a very rough range to back up my own thinking of "fair".

oiahc0.jpg

I recently bought one for $25 but it was not very similar to that one. Does that one still have the chuck? I didn't see it.never seen one quite like that one, so I  not exactly sure what to ask

Littleblacksmith 

Edited by littleblacksmith
Added more

Well, I really didn't leave people with enough information to give much of an educated response.  I figured that I'd see if the team at the museum felt a hundred bucks was reasonable.  I could probably find one for less but that's about what it's worth to me in the current condition (including a bit of a donation to the museum).  I guess what I really wanted was to verify that in my ignorance I wasn't low-balling,  When I see post drills around here, it's usually in antique stores with aggressive pricing so I have no clue what the market really is.

Story was, the old farmer who passed away and donated the stuff had bought this at a farm auction and never got it further than the "someday" pile in his yard. 

Like you said think of it more as a donation too, better in this case to give more, than to low ball them , and have them get offended, and you never see it again. So does it have a chuck? It does look unique.

Littleblacksmith 

No chuck or drill holder, straight socket which is no big deal.  2 speed machine.  Looks like the auto-feed mech is not there.  Definitely something that would need restoring to even get close to usable which is the kind of project I was looking for.

It's big--much bigger than most post drills I have seen.  Still can't find a model number but I haven't been able to flip it over yet as it's still strapped down with the rest of the stuff.

2hwck14.jpg

$25-150 depending on model and size. They aren't rare, and are obsolete as machinery goes. While they are cool and useful, not worth 200+ that they list for on Ebay. I have given two away and sold one for $15 once. I have probably owned 4-5 of them and total probably haven't spent $50 on the lot.

• 3 weeks later...

Redux on this post drill.  I was doing some disassembly on the post drill yesterday evening and happily found that most parts were still loose and easy to deal with in spite of the rusty look.  Thank you grease zealots of the past.

In searching, it appears to be a champion model 7-P which doesn't come up in image searches (or web for that matter) with the exception of one page of advertising.  I was wondering if anyone could point out a site which might have more information (photos!) of this drill or if any other champion information is available that might help with the restoration.  Specifically, I need a photo of the auto-feed on this one or a similar version as the drawing doesn't show that side of the machine.  The 20XX series drills seem to be a little different in feed design although some of the rest of the drive is similar.  

Here is a section of that ad showing the photo.  Sorry if it comes out huge but I needed to show detail.  Can anyone tell me what that T-bar shaped thing in the lower left is for?  The ads for all the big drills show similar but don't mention a use.  Also, can anyone better explain the comments about the pulleys in the text?  I "guess" that by saying "tight and loose pulleys" they mean a keyed drive and an idler so that the flat belt could be moved from one to the other on a line shaft.

Thanks!

x3gu8g.jpg

Addendum--on a vintage machinery site there is a reference to brackets like the one I asked about being a "wagon wheel holding bracket"

Not sure if that's fact as there is only a single reference but if so, I assume it was for drilling tires that needed rivet holes.  No clue as to how it would actually mount on the press

Always intruiging these "spurious" items featured in old pamphlets,especially with no hint to it's use! I usually find they are mostly pictured in the vacinity of the area they would be employed. So as it is near the table, do you think it could be an auxiliary mounting for the table offering additional articulation?

I'm thinking, of the possibility of tilting the table which would maybe then be rotatablearound a horizontal axis......??????

Alternatively it may be nothing of the sort! lol

Redux to the redux...found an old advertisement showing how that tire drilling bar mounted on these.  You can see that the table swings sideways and has a couple of hooks for the "T" to hang on, leaving the projecting pin to hang the tire on.  By my guess, they're designed to run/hang though the bore of a wheel in order to drill at the tire face as there is too much clearance to drill a raw tire band.

In my first photo you can see a sort-of rectangular bulge at the side of the table arm casting--which was confusing me:  It forms a pocket to hang the device rather than being a couple of fragile hooks. I had originally thought it was for oil or something but it's not deep or large enough...but it is deep enough to hook something over.

books?id=LwRGAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA79&img=1&zoom

Rule 34 should have warned me but I had not realized that "anvil" as a google search term could lead into such odd hinterlands; but it looked to be a nice Peter Wright they....

Perhaps before I am banned for life + 40 years I will just leave it at that and remind folks that safe search can be your friend!