I Forge Iron

Hand held band saw

larry check out my gallery , i mounted mine as a vertical stationary
bought from hf for 69 dollars threw the factory blades away and bought morse brand blades
satisfied
going to make a better table soon,
for what i do this is good enough , just a slice here a slice there ,
i used it to saw one of those crosses everyone sems to like i even think you posted one
chuck

I have a milwaukee porta-band. I use it a lot more than my chop saw. I can put a piece in the vice and cut, no sparks, but you are limited to size, I think mine is 4" sq. limit and the variable speed is nice also, plus you can take it to the work. It's one of my favorite tools.

I used one similar to this at a hammer-in last fall. The host had fabbed a mount for it, to mount it vertically on the wall. He also fabbed a nice little table for it, and an on/off knob with lever that engaged the trigger switch using a cam like action. Pretty nice little piece for small jobs.

I enjoyed using it, and wish I had taken pics of it, to use for ideas in my shop. I think you will be happy with one like that.

Although I don't own one, a porta-band is a handy tool. Look at an intersection of square tubing that has been welded ( say 1 1/4" 11 ga tubing). Say the joint is not square. Saw through the weld and then grind and re-tack. Fix the issue fairly nicely. I have used one of these ( Milwaukee ) saws a fair bit and would like to own one but like everything else it is only money right ?

My Greenlee porta-saw is an industrail size that is at least 20 years old. I have a little trouble getting blades but have never done without then. I can't imagine not having the saw. After using one so long it's easy to find out how many ways there is to use it and save hours of hacksawing time.

Mine is just a flat plate with a slot cut to go around the blade. It slides on from the cutting side and srews on where the original mount goes. It has a peice of angle welded to the bottom to fit in the vice. Mine is pretty sturdy. I've seen Harbour Freight saws with an extra brace clamped to the handles to help keep rigid.
I hope this helps
Travis

I have a Milwaukee Portaband but haven't used it since buying a HF 4x6. I made a mount after gleaming info from others around some of these boards. I don't have much use for the portability since I do all my work in the garage. I still can't bring myself to get rid of it because it is so xxxx useful.

Here are pictures of my concoction and one I took inspiration from. The first two are mine.

The saw cost me $85 and came with a 10" miter saw and a table saw. Good deal in my book.

4924.attach

4925.attach

4926.attach

4927.attach

I have not used a northern tool portaband.
I have used a Porter Cable, a Milwaukee and a Makita.
Milwaukee is the most rugged, if a bit heavy.
Porter Cable comes in second.
The Makita is a little like a toy, but does work.
I highly recommend getting the best you can.
I have skimped many a time on tool purchases.
Use discretion. If you think you will be using the tool alot, working it hard, get the milwaukee or the portercable. If you think you will be using it to cut a few pieces of tube on the weekends, get the cheapo.
my opinion.

I bought a milwaukee and am very happy with it. I even ran over it with my trailer and it still goes. I have purchased a HF 4x6 that I will be setting up in the garage but that means the porta band will now be dedicated to the field where it is at its best.

You can get any length of blade you want. On the big blades they are never a certain size. They always cut and weld them when you order them. Just a few days and there are your blades. Odd sizes don't matter. I always buy 2 blades when I buy them so I am never out of a blade. Don't buy carbon steel blades, you will be sorry, they hardly last a cut and if the steel is hard forget it. HSS steel for the teeth and I have got a year out of a $60 blade.

• 5 weeks later...

After wearing out 3 Milwaukees in 14 years I would have to say they are by far the best saws. I use 10-14 varipitch bi-metal blades.They are just pure evil on solid bars of steel. Definitely buy two. One for hand use away from the shop and one beater to convert to a vertical with a foot switch for the welding table or I use two h beams for my layout table. Pawn shops are usually a good spot to score porta-bands.

• 1 month later...