I Forge Iron

Annealing 5/8" Coil Springs on Struts

Having replaced all four struts on my wife's car, I now have the four old struts rusting out by the barn. What I'm considering doing is lighting off the huge brush pile I've accumulated over the winter (includes a couple of 60' pine trees) and tossing the four struts in the middle of it. By the time it all burns down (probably around 36 hours worth) I'm guessing the springs should be pretty well de-sprung.  No, I have no plans to dash out and pull the retaining nuts off the top. I'll put a screw clamp on a couple of turns of spring and see if they stay compressed when released first. If they stay where the screw clamp left them, then I'll consider removing the top nuts.

If that doesn't work, I may take them to a mechanic and let him remove the springs for me.

Greetings Olfart. 

Do yourself a favor and take the struts to a mechanic with the proper tools to remove the springs.  You can hurt yourself big time .. Is it worth it?  Hydraulics enclosed in a shock will explode with heat not to mention the spring when removed. 

Forge inand make beautiful things

Jim

Of course I'll have no way of knowing whether critical temp was reached. My only means of determining whether they're safe is to further compress the spring and see if it expands back to its original position. If it doesn't, it will not be exerting any pressure on the top retaining nut. If it does, then it's down to the shop to have it done by a mechanic. If the shock itself fails due to heat, I won't know about it until it's all cool. The brush pile is more than 100 yards from the house, and I won't be going down there once I toss the struts into the fire.

Take it to a mechanic first off.  How much is it going to cost you if you get yourself or someone else hurt?  A lot more than going to the mechanic.  Miss a couples days, or weeks or even months of work and see the cost to say nothing of property damage if or when things go wrong.  In a car fire I've seen struts blow and go through the inner fender, hood and throw shrapnel  several yards in multiple directions.      

Good Morning OlFart,

Do your Family a favour, Take the Struts apart first. Mr Darwin has some Annual Awards, don't enlist yourself.

I put the whole coil inside a propane Forge. I have a stationary vertical piece of pipe (held in a very substantial Vice).

When the coil is hot, drop the coil over the Pipe, grab one end of the coil with your Good Tongs and pull hard.

The Coil will unwrap to about 12-15 feet long and it will be annealed. If you are quick and have a few friends helping, it may take 3 heats.

Neil

Or...you can measure around the coil to get the length of the piece you want, cut it off with a angle grinder, hack saw, etc.  A short piece is easier to work with.  That way you don't have to heat and uncoil the spring.

6 hours ago, arkie said:

Or...you can measure around the coil to get the length of the piece you want, cut it off with a angle grinder, hack saw, etc.  A short piece is easier to work with.  That way you don't have to heat and uncoil the spring.

BTW, I should have mentioned a caveat.....if you decide to use a spring on a strut assembly, DON'T, REPEAT DON'T cut the spring before having it removed from the strut!!!!!  HAVE THE SPRING REMOVED FIRST!!!  That would be an instant trip to the ER!!

Well, I burned the brush pile today. Cooler heads prevailed, and I chose not to cook the struts after all. Too much opportunity for catastrophic failure.

However, in the process of burning the brush pile I broke a steering arm on my tractor. Luckily it was far enough from the fire to enable me to remove the broken steering arm and haul it to the barn. That gave me my first opportunity to use my forge for a practical purpose! I fired up the forge and heated the bent side of the broken arm, beat it back to where it needed to be, then let it cool. I used the pinch bolt to align the broken piece and welded the broken piece back on, which was good enough to get the tractor back to the barn. A new part is now ordered, so I don't have to rely on my repaired part for very long.

Thanks for all the good advice on NOT cooking the struts!