I Forge Iron

Wood & Iron Pot Rack

HEAP of JEEP

Since the weather has been quite spring-like the past few weeks in my neck of the woods, my wife has had me focused on the Honey-Do list.  Unfortunately, most of the list does not involve firing up the forge.  BUT.... I did manage to get a little forging time in with the pot rack that she asked me to make.  

The wood is all reclaimed from pallets and some other scrap I had lying around, and the brackets I formed from some 1" round stock I seem to have an abundance of.  Nothing fancy, but it was nice to fire up the forge again, and I think it came out pretty nice.  I made a few s hooks in different sizes, to fit over different sections of the rack, and then just used some extra chain I had lying around to hang it.

The new chain really stands out from the overall rustic look I was going for, so I might have to take the time to forge my own, but I might be able to get away with painting the existing one black.  But that's a project for another day.

943805_970055013074723_58660057591808819

537442_970055053074719_62830512404625130

1479372_971153336298224_1998895056591886

534138_971153302964894_17916458070039604

Nicely done.   I like using chain from old semi truck chain sets I source at the scrapyard, they have a number of differing configurations and I go for the old rusty ones.  A heat in the forge and a stout brushing off and then hot apply wax or blacksmith goop or...to get a good black and you get something that is not as "big box store" as modern chain.

10 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Nicely done.   I like using chain from old semi truck chain sets I source at the scrapyard, they have a number of differing configurations and I go for the old rusty ones.  A heat in the forge and a stout brushing off and then hot apply wax or blacksmith goop or...to get a good black and you get something that is not as "big box store" as modern chain.

Thanks, Thomas.  It never even occurred to me to use some old rusty chain.  I probably have just the right stuff lying out behind the shed.

Nice job. I think we have a consensus here, the plated chain doesn't fit so well. It doesn't look bad but it would look better with something else. Another option is hand forged chain made from closed S hooks.

All round well done.

Frosty The Lucky.

Nice job. I guess we're agreed about the chain. I like to make chain for these kinds of jobs out of straight lengths with a turned eye either end of the bars. It can be one length with its eyes or multiple shorter lengths attached to each other. A clearer picture of what I'm talking about can be got by allowing your search engine to find "antique surveying chain" images. For our purposes, each "link" can be round in section, square in section, or a forged shape to your liking.

On 3/29/2016 at 9:38 PM, Prevenge said:

Beauty..... I gotta say though...that reclaimed pallet wood has some very nice character! what did you finish it with?

Yeah, lucked out on this stuff.  The pallet wood I salvage usually doesn't have such nice grain patterns.  I just grabbed a can of stain off the shelf... I believe it was Minwax Red Mahogany for this one, and then a light coating of the Minwax rub on poly.

On 3/29/2016 at 9:54 AM, Frank Turley said:

Nice job. I guess we're agreed about the chain. I like to make chain for these kinds of jobs out of straight lengths with a turned eye either end of the bars. It can be one length with its eyes or multiple shorter lengths attached to each other. A clearer picture of what I'm talking about can be got by allowing your search engine to find "antique surveying chain" images. For our purposes, each "link" can be round in section, square in section, or a forged shape to your liking.

So I googled it, and I gotta say, I really like the look.  Might have to play around with this idea when I get a little more time.