I Forge Iron

Another Kitchen Axe

I like the design---pondering how it would feel in use.

Seems like you could easily add a feature on the small blade extension at the end of the handle.  All that comes to mind is something dumb like a can opener but maybe with a little thought you can come up with a useful feature that actually enhances  it as a knife/chopper.  Seems like a good tool for breaking down poultry so maybe a smaller point designed to get into the tight joints at the leg/thigh/wing.  On an ulu you have a forward facing point for that kind of thing but it's lacking on this design.

just random thoughts...because I like what you did.

Oops, pics were working yesterday, I don't know what happened. Here they are as attachments.

22 hours ago, Kozzy said:

Seems like you could easily add a feature on the small blade extension at the end of the handle.  All that comes to mind is something dumb like a can opener but maybe with a little thought you can come up with a useful feature that actually enhances  it as a knife/chopper.  Seems like a good tool for breaking down poultry so maybe a smaller point designed to get into the tight joints at the leg/thigh/wing.  On an ulu you have a forward facing point for that kind of thing but it's lacking on this design.

A forward facing point on the axe blade is a good idea that I might work into a future revision. I don't want to add anything up towards the spine though since I like to rest my index finger there for fine control.

IMG_9390_DxO.jpg

IMG_9468_DxO.jpg

IMG_9507_DxO.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/18/2016 at 10:17 AM, WAGONJON said:

Wow! Such a beautiful piece of work! I need to visit your shop. Your only a couple of hours from me down hwy 80.

Sadly I spend most of my time in an apartment in Sacramento these days so no loud forging or grinding. I still have a small work space in the East Bay though and you're welcome to visit next time I'm there but it won't be for a while. PM me if you're interested.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been looking for a design to use for cleaning fish.  This might be it, one could choke up on the haft for cutting activities and then use the lower haft for chopping backbones and stuff.  Forgive my ignorance but is this an original design (tool)?  I would hate to attempt to imitate it without permission if it was.

A couple things:  One could argue that it is a variation of an ulu.  Secondly, I can't speak for navasky, but I know I wouldn't care if someone was just using my design for their own personal use.  I might get testy if they were selling it as their own though.

Beautiful work, design, and craftsmanship. The suggested blade extension, would made it look like several cooking and food preparation utensils. Check the net for metza lunas, ulus, and "rocking two-handled knives". The metza luna is prominently used by British celebrity chef, Nigela Lawson. (you may be able to find some of her shows on Food Network or. B.B.C. America, or P.B.S. (she is worth checking out.). The ulu has been used by the Inuit (a.k.a. Eskimos) for thousands of years. (& the Dorset culture natives for at least a thousand years before them.) So the ulu design and its function are in the public domain. Similarly, the metza luna has been in use in Italy for hundreds of years. In other words, you can copy the design  whenever you desire. The propriety interest, in these two, has long run out and their design and function may be used by all. I will bet my paycheck that no one, originally, took out a patent, nor industrial design, for them in the first place.

The utensil bears a certain resemblance to the bearded Viking axe. A lovely Scandinavian redecorating device.   Cheers,    SLAG.

Edited by SLAG
Removed a tautology, & Cleared the verbiage

On 5/2/2016 at 11:25 AM, Worshipdrummer said:

I have been looking for a design to use for cleaning fish.  This might be it, one could choke up on the haft for cutting activities and then use the lower haft for chopping backbones and stuff.  Forgive my ignorance but is this an original design (tool)?  I would hate to attempt to imitate it without permission if it was.

I'd like to think the implementation is somewhat original but yeah, it's basically just a mashup of an ulu and a bearded axe. Feel free to make your own and let us know how it works on the fish.