I Forge Iron

My 50 Lb. Tire Hammer

Got my new power hammer set yesterday.

I did not build it myself, just helped with the design a little for my particular hammer.

We went with an 8"x8" anvil with vertical stacked plates and used an 1-1/4" thick base plate.  I'd say that the hammer weighs somewhere between 1,400-1,500 lbs.

It's powered by a 1-HP motor.  I ran a dedicated 30-amp circuit to it using #10 wire.

It's sitting on a 5/16" thick rubber vibration isolation pad and bolted down with 7" x 5/8" concrete anchors.  My garage slab is 6", 5,000 psi concrete with rebar so I feel like it's going to hold up fine. 

The mounting is very solid and the hammer does not move a bit.  The center portion between the anvil and motor post is filled with about 50 lbs. of sand.

It's definitely smooth and hits hard and I can't wait to use it this week.

I've got my smithy set up in-line so we can still park vehicles inside, my gas forge rotates so I can angle it toward my anvil or power hammer with a light push, so it all works good for me.

powerhammer1_zps9hhhn0g7.jpg

powerhammer2_zpsiozzvkuc.jpg

powerhammer3_zpsjat5wcz4.jpg

powerhammer4_zpsex003va5.jpg

Nice work, outstanding piece. 

How does your lower side die integrate, is it a bolt on? I thought of a quick change arrangement but I need to see it set up. I have a Clay Spencer and I use it a lot. The tooling is mostly clamp on and lift height between the dies becomes the governing factor. 

Peter 

29 minutes ago, petere76 said:

Nice work, outstanding piece. 

How does your lower side die integrate, is it a bolt on? I thought of a quick change arrangement but I need to see it set up. I have a Clay Spencer and I use it a lot. The tooling is mostly clamp on and lift height between the dies becomes the governing factor. 

Peter 

Both the top and bottom dies are bolt-on.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very nice hammer I like the beer keg cooling pale. I am starting to build my hammer very soon I have most of the materials. What did you use for the hammer weight and I see you have a access port between the anvil and main support is that dead space filled with something, I filled my hollow anvil stand with gravel and it seems to keep the noise down.

thanks

Never thought of casting lead into square tubing thats a good idea. Its quite hard to find solid square stock bigger than 2". Is that what the clay spencer hammer has the ram looks similar.

I dont live very close to a scrap yard so i dont get to go often but i do get quite a bit of scrap from work. A couple of weeks ago i got a 7' piece of 10' wide flange with 7/8" flange and  1/2" webbing should make a really good main column it weighs about 450 lbs.

• 9 months later...

Decided it was time to beef my hammer up a little.

I upsized from a 1-HP, 120V motor to a 2-HP, 1,750 HP TEFC motor wired at 240V.  Also added about 12ish lbs. of lead to the tupp and increased the couterbalance weight by about 2 lbs.  I increased the motor mounting plate from 1/4" thick to 3/4" to avoid any plate deflection due to the heavier motor.  So now it's closer to a 65-lb hammer.

I'm amazed by how much more responsive the hammer is now and the noticable increase in striking force.  I can definitely feel the difference in my 6", 5,000 psi concrete slab for sure.  The main thing I was worried about was loss of finesse since I work with a large size range of materials, but I honestly think I have better control now than I did with the 1-HP motor.

Also took the time to install an industrial grade switch that's lockable since my grandson (toddler) has all of the sudden taken an interest in the "powahamma"  :).

2hp1.JPG

2hp2.JPG

2hp3.JPG

I like the switch idea. Whenever I start populating my shop with power tools like that I'm going to have to do the same. My 3 year son loves to do anything he sees others doing and we all know how dangerous that can be in a shop. Truth is if he is in there nothing is on so there's less for him to get hurt on. 

• 2 weeks later...