I Forge Iron

I am completely new so I aoplogize for possibly posting this in the wrong category....

Anyways..

I am new to blacksmithing and need help finding material to build my forge... I need help sourcing castable refractory cememt... Firebrick... Ceramic fibre and rigidizer... If yall have some that you are willing to sale plz help... It cost way too much to order refractory cement online...

_J

So do you need sources in Australia or South Africa?  Brazil or the UK?   since so many blacksmithing questions do have a location component it's consided a good thing to edit your profile to put in a general location; helps a lot for "central slobovia?  stop on by my place and I'll show you how to forge weld..." offers too.   As for refractories in the USA I get mine from Wayne Coe, a member of this board and a good guy.  Check his website

You asked the wrong question.

Try asking, ... How can I "Clay" my Forge, using only the things that ARE available to me ?

Notice how it's called "Claying" a Forge, ... not "Refractory Cementing" a Forge.

This should be a clue, ... that plain old Clay is a serviceable material.

If reading some of the half million existing posts is of no value to you, I am sorry, but I cant imagine where else to point you :( Most people start in the forge section with the pinned posts,  We do have translations of IFI onto other languages, perhaps getting the posts into your native language would be of help? good luck.

Choose a subject then go to the forum and find a similar subject and browse tht section starting with the pinned topics. Anvils are in the anvil section, Forges in the forge section, etc.

Add your location to your profile as there may be blacksmiths in your area that would be willing to help get you started. Most locations have solid fuels that can be sourced much easier than gasses such as propane. The learning curve on solid fuels is rather straight forward and does not go BOOM if mishandled.

Learning the correct words to use will make your searches much better, and will make the answers to your questions much clearer.

If you have specific questions, just ask and someone will assist you. Be sure and tell us what you have found and tried already so we do not have to start at dig a hole in the ground when you really want a more advanced explanation or answer.

Adding location to profile, I can't never seem to see locations anymore when I look at them. I know I had location on mine but I don't see it when I scroll over my thumbnail. I can't see it on others either.

Ok delete that just checked again and can see it again. Wasn't able to see it the other day though.

1 hour ago, Rashelle said:

Adding location to profile, I can't never seem to see locations anymore when I look at them. I know I had location on mine but I don't see it when I scroll over my thumbnail. I can't see it on others either.

Ok delete that just checked again and can see it again. Wasn't able to see it the other day though.

Rashelle, When I check out the forum from my phone, member locations, avatars and other things are MIA, but on the laptop, it's all there. Were you browsing on a different device?

I use my laptop. I'm just not enough up on the modern gadgets to be able to use those to browse forums. I think it may be a case of the site still being buggy like it has for the past few months. At least it's working again. Thanks for the attempt though.

Jake, there are blacksmith and bladesmith meetings all over NC, where you could be going  on a regular basis and picking the collective knowledge of hundreds of years of experience in one room. http://www.ibiblio.org/nc-abana/

There are also a couple of dozen community colleges that offer welding classes, and a few that even offer blacksmith and knifemaking classes and clubs.

And oh, yeah, there are a dozen Hackerspaces and Makerspaces and Community Art collectives that offer classes and workshops in all sorts of hot work, and do iron and bronze pours as well.

Cheap (well, reasonable) local places to buy refractory materials to make forges and kilns are under "Potter's Supply Houses" or some such in the Yellow Pages of any decent sized city. There are a whole lot more potters than blacksmiths working out of their garage.

Thank you very much on the input and I shall further my search and knowledge by reading the posts. 

On 1/20/2016 at 5:20 PM, John McPherson said:

Jake, there are blacksmith and bladesmith meetings all over NC, where you could be going  on a regular basis and picking the collective knowledge of hundreds of years of experience in one room. http://www.ibiblio.org/nc-abana/

There are also a couple of dozen community colleges that offer welding classes, and a few that even offer blacksmith and knifemaking classes and clubs.

And oh, yeah, there are a dozen Hackerspaces and Makerspaces and Community Art collectives that offer classes and workshops in all sorts of hot work, and do iron and bronze pours as well.

Cheap (well, reasonable) local places to buy refractory materials to make forges and kilns are under "Potter's Supply Houses" or some such in the Yellow Pages of any decent sized city. There are a whole lot more potters than blacksmiths working out of their garage.

Special thanks to you... You have really opened my mind....

Im 19 and have been fascinated by blacksmithing for years... I have a welding certification because of it...