I Forge Iron

Almost set up with $0 spent!

So I've been itching to get into blacksmithing for a long time. But a recent lay off has given me the time to get bored and start searching. And thanks to my grandpa who is no longer with us I have almost everything I need. 2 anvils a couple tongs a post vice and a champion blower. Was kinda heart broken to hear how it sounds when turning it. So I'll have to look closer into  that. But here's some pictures. Let me know what you think. So excited!!!!

anvils.jpg

post vise.jpg

vandium anvil.jpg

vandium anvil 2.jpg

Cody,

You have most of what you need to get started for sure. If you have any questions about the Champion blower feel free to ask. If it is a 400 I can help you out. I have completely disassembled 2 and rebuilt them to fine working order. Get or build a forge and get to it!

D

I'm glad to see your Grandfather's kit staying in the family as working tools. He's smiling on ya. Maybe come up with a proper name to memorialize him?

I seem to recall someone asking about a cast steel Vanadium anvil but it's been a long much time ago and I don't remember details other than he seemed to like it a lot.

The little tripod looks like a hoof stand.

Be easy turning the blower till you get it cleaned out, all kinds of critters like nesting in them and kids love putting stuff in them. You might be lucky and able to wash the crud out of it with a hose or car wash wand. They're really robust machines intended to last centuries and so are easy to rebuild.

Frosty The Lucky.

Ya I'm grateful to see that stuff was still here after all the scrap iron folks came down and hauled a bunch of stuff off. Like fn break roters. Only thing I'm missing now lol. And ya the name of the forge will be The Flying W with his old brand witch is what the name of his ranch was. But as promised here's the pictures of the blower. Any info you guys can give me on any of this equipment is much appreciated.

20160114_170536.jpg

20160114_170557.jpg

20160114_170507.jpg

20160114_170531.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The table on the forge would be fine but if I were you i'd cut a bigger notch on either side almost all the way down and replace that brake drum with a brake rotor. you'll waste less fuel and be able to have some around the rotor to rake in as you need it.

The idea of the 55 Forge was to be able to be built in any third world country, and work.

The brake drum and later the rotor was added to give a bit of depth to the fire.This was designed to have a hole cut into the pan large enough for the drum or rotor to fall into and catch on the rim of the drum or rotor. This way the bottom of the forge is about level with the fire pot hanging below the bottom of the forge. This allows you to scrape or move fuel directly into the fire.

Your design will work if you let the space between the bottom of the pan and the top of the brake drum fill with ask to level things out.

The ball valve, if I see things correctly, at the bottom of the ash tube is over kill. It would be easy to open and close but I would be afraid the grit from the ash and the heat from hot embers would effect the operation of the valve in short order. YMMV

When you build a fire, the metal should be about horizontal with the top of the drum, which means you will need much more fuel on top of the drum. This is the sweet spot of the fire where most of the oxygen has been burned out and consumed by the fire and just heat moves up to the metal. Mush less scale that way. You have a 30* down angle to the metal because you do not have enough fire in the pot.

Ya I saw that this was a bit non effective, I mean it worked but was a pain. But for my first forge i think it was ok. Let's me hit some hot metal anyway. Yes that is a ball valve on the bottom. All of that was free so why not. If it clogs up I'll take it apart and clean it no biggy. I already have some other ideas rolling around to improve this or just build somthing better. But until then I'll take the advice given build my fire better and play with it until I can make something better

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 2:47 AM, Frosty said:

I'm glad to see your Grandfather's kit staying in the family as working tools. He's smiling on ya

I'll echo what Frosty said, so nice to keep it in the family and do what you can to assure it stays there after you are done with  it.  If this stuff could only talk imagine the stories and history it could tell.  Now write down what you  know about it to date esp. from your dad, keep it for the next generation so much is lost from, "I'll talk with Dad tomorrow" or next week and then it's too late.  I learned the hard way, Twice!

2 hours ago, notownkid said:

I'll echo what Frosty said, so nice to keep it in the family and do what you can to assure it stays there after you are done with  it.  If this stuff could only talk imagine the stories and history it could tell.  Now write down what you  know about it to date esp. from your dad, keep it for the next generation so much is lost from, "I'll talk with Dad tomorrow" or next week and then it's too late.  I learned the hard way, Twice!

Definitely staying in the family. That alone means alot more than what any of it is worth money wise. 

8 hours ago, Glenn said:

Add bricks to fill the space between the bottom of the pan and the top of the brake drum. Cover the bricks with mud or ash and be happy while you build your second forge.

Going to grab a bunch of bricks today and gonna dig up some of this oklahoma red clay and top it off and see how that works..... gotta get a hair dryer or somthing tho the wife wasn't to happy to come out and see hers in the forge lol will post more pictures when that is done

• 5 weeks later...

$10.00 for a blow drier!! :o You gotta start hitting yard, garage, etc. sales in lower class neighborhoods. I stopped picking them up for <$5.00 a couple summers ago, I have plenty. You DIDN'T have the heat on did you? That'll kill them quick and it does no, as in ZERO good for the fire.

Frosty The Lucky.

At that rate you might as well just spend between $65.- ? On a good blower. Yeah you can get cheaper ones . One I got is $65. And has lasted my abuse, meaning I have a variable speed switch on it and it's not meant to have one. :rolleyes: But it has worked. That's been over a year. Now that's what I'd call abuse. 

It was a 2 speed dryer. High and low both were heat no option of no heat. My wife's you can do high and low or high and low with the cool witch don't get hot but this little pos didn't have that option so I'm figuring it burnt up. Back to square one. Maby I'll just try and rebuild that champion blower I have 

4 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

At that rate you might as well just spend between $65.- ? On a good blower. Yeah you can get cheaper ones . One I got is $65. And has lasted my abuse, meaning I have a variable speed switch on it and it's not meant to have one. :rolleyes: But it has worked. That's been over a year. Now that's what I'd call abuse. 

And twat is this magical blower that you have sir???