I Forge Iron

Almost set up with $0 spent!

31 minutes ago, codyrwilliams said:

And twat is this magical blower that you have sir???

I wouldn't say it's magical. Thomas's options are affordable.

I have a Dayton blower. Model 4c441a. Number has changed to 1tdn6. Im not here to push a name or model but I've had great results with it. There's lots of directions to go. If you have the champion blower by all means get that guy working. 

I didn't mean my post to be rude in any way. I've found a lot of cheap newer products to fail at what I needed them to be. Your not alone in the "money lost in trying" boat. 

10 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

I didn't mean my post to be rude in any way. I've found a lot of cheap newer products to fail at what I needed them to be. Your not alone in the "money lost in trying" boat. 

No I didn't take it as rude in anyway I was just trying to be humorous. And ya I want to get the old champion going just need to get it apart and see what's clinking in it. As far as the "bird cage" as iv always heard them called, aka heater fans or bathroom type fans go I just don't know how I would house them and all that good stuff. Any examples?

Ok cool. Sometimes expression can get lost in text and it's hard to tell which way it's intended. I've never tried the squirrel cage yet so I can only imagine building a housing for it. Someone here may be able to shed light on that. I'd be a bit interested myself for a portable 12v option. I have abunch of squirrel cage blowers from doing automotive work  

On the old blower do a lil research first because I've read on some that some old crank blowers can be a bit tricky. I have a champion 400 to freshen up that I've been reading about lately. 

I have seen an old Chevy truck heater blower mounted in a cut down coffe can (acualy two, one end had a cut out center to take mount the fan threw, and both were cut down one to an appropriate realty and the other as sprees in "lid") with a soup can nosel. 

Bathroom fans are pretty strait forward as they have provisions for a duct to the outside. 

Drier blowers are another option...

9 hours ago, Daswulf said:

On the old blower do a lil research first because I've read on some that some old crank blowers can be a bit tricky. I have a champion 400 to freshen up that I've been reading about lately. 

There are pictures of the blower on the first page of my post close to the top. Champion Lancaster geared NO. 40. I'll start doing research now and see what I can do for it.

5 minutes ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

I have seen an old Chevy truck heater blower mounted in a cut down coffe can (acualy two, one end had a cut out center to take mount the fan threw, and both were cut down one to an appropriate realty and the other as sprees in "lid") with a soup can nosel. 

Bathroom fans are pretty strait forward as they have provisions for a duct to the outside. 

Drier blowers are another option...

Thanks Charles, luckily enough I get paid today so I will go do a lil browsing and see what I can come up with

:D Now this is a Joke, just so everyone understands:lol: Does your  "Little one" have a hamster with cage you could borrow?  I gave a friend a fan off a pellets stove I had been saving, multi speed and designed to work 24/7 for months at a time he has it working.  

11 minutes ago, notownkid said:

:D Now this is a Joke, just so everyone understands:lol: Does your  "Little one" have a hamster with cage you could borrow?  I gave a friend a fan off a pellets stove I had been saving, multi speed and designed to work 24/7 for months at a time he has it working.  

Haha nope no hamsters here. And ya I thought about a wood stove fan 

Also, look on ebay for "draft inducer" (that's the blower that provides combustion air in your home furnace). I bought one cheap to build a water cooler for my induction heater, but that's another story. Block (partially) the intake to control the draft. Typically a round plate that pivots on one side of the intake and is tight enough to hold position works nicely.

Good on you and your dad for keeping the awesome tools in the family. As far as blow dryers go there is a way to unhook the heating elements but I don't know how. I recently was given a blower and housing from a jenn air appliance and one from an old clothes dryer. When I first started building my forge an older couple brought me a free Dayton forge blower. It runs so quiet you can't hear it run. It doesn't have a speed change but it has a built in intake gate which works well. I like the look of the forge with clay added.

Thanks for all the feed back guys. As far as the clay in the forge goes let me tell you this thing works great after a bit of time playing with it you can truly pick where u want to heat it's working awsome. And on the blower end I'm working on rebuilding the old crank blower for now I got another hair dryer and I worked it way longer than the last one and I had a good project for a first time project. Made me a coat hanger or hat hanger or whatever you want to call it and I must say I'm quite proud of it lol its been a good day playing with fire.

20160225_203301.jpg

20160225_203322.jpg

• 1 month later...

What about one of the 4" Atwood RV/bilge blowers?

http://www.attwoodmarine.com/userfiles/store/product/files/1238/1731.pdf

12v operation, 100-125 CFM and 2.5-2.9 amp draw depending on your operating voltage up to 13.6v.  Fan has a 3 year warranty and is water resistant.  

$26 for the fan : http://www.amazon.com/Attwood-Quiet-Blower-Resistant-4-Inch/dp/B003EX02DA

$11.22 for a speed controller: http://www.amazon.com/DROK-Controller-Regulator-Modulator-Indicator/dp/B00DVGGWC0