I Forge Iron

Reclaimed Wood Hammer Rack

smfg_mendo

Thought I would post a project up I did this weekend.  Built a 3 tier hammer rack out of recycled wood and hardware I had lying around the yard.  One oak pallet, some old 1x6 tongue and groove redwood for the top shelf, 4x4 PT for the main structure, and Walnut for the side table that the Keystone hand crank sharpening stone is attached to. For the top shelf and side shelf I used some old galvanized simpson ties I had leftover from another project.  I will be making some misc. hooks for it also.  I already had all the bolts and lags to assemble it.  I did have to buy the metal casters form a local hardware store, they cost me $5.50 each.

IMAG1213_zpsxn2kp0im.jpg

IMAG1215_zpsvgzy3i1i.jpg

IMAG1238_zpsx0p3wqie.jpg

IMAG1240_zpserxl4xqk.jpg

IMAG1241_zpshgwwhtsy.jpg

IMAG1242_zpsnasvhsyn.jpg

IMAG1243_zpsekvzlt47.jpg

IMAG1245_zpsizj01zdh.jpg

IMAG1244_zps6zboyhp2.jpg

When I saw the first pic I said to myself, 'oh boy another pallet hammer rack'. Not that there's anything wrong with them but there are an awfully lot of them pictured on Iforge. . . Somewhere. :huh:

Then as I scrolled down through the spread it got fancier and fancier without getting overdone. About the only suggestions I can think of being maybe putting a couple horizontal stock racks on the upper two multi board racks.

A little fold down desk on the back side with a hanging lamp under the shelf would be cool handy and dynamite at demonstrations. Of course that's probably violating my own rule about getting silly and doing just because.

Frosty The Lucky.

How well does the hand crank grinder work?? How do they work, I know turn the crank.  But are you turning and holding at the same time? And is that not awkward? Or do you always need someone else.  Have a couple.  Then think they would work as good gear boxes for taking a hand pump forge into a hand crank forge.

Depends a lot on the hand crank grinder.  I have a Buddha Liberty hand crank that came with a built in wheel dresser and is quite nice.  It doesn't travel though so I have a cheaper one I use to touch up edges on chisels and things when doing demo's.  In general they are not for hogging off metal; just for light touchups for hardened things a file won't touch.

Thanks for all the compliments.  Frosty i do have this old dayton industrial equipment light that i was thinking about mounting on this rack somewhere.  Im sure there are a few holders and hooks I will add as time passes and i use it more.  I am still very new to the art of blacksmithing, and learn something new everyday.  

I use the wheel for touch ups on chisels, hatchets, etc. it takes i little practice to crank and sharpen at the same time!  thomas is right on with what he said.

i was surprised they were so cheap 375lb load rating per wheel should be sufficient!

IMAG1101_zpsvher0qzv.jpg

IMAG1103_zps9jtvyf1f.jpg

3 minutes ago, Culver Creek Hunt Club said:

Any way to add an attachment and make that a wheel foot pumped?

I had thought about this before. If I ever get the time and ambition I am going to try to set up a junk old treadle sewing machine body for use with a grind stone or other implement. Just an idea I had. 

A foot treadle on the hand grinder. . . BINGO! A length of 1/4" rod is overkill and a couple ends so it moves freely, almost anything will work for the treadle, don't need a spring, nothing fancy at all. Hand grinders work but are inconvenient seeing as we only have the two hands. However once you get good at sharpening on one you can work magic on an electric wheel.

That's a PERFECT little lamp. If you attach it to a small piece of sq tubing you can attach pieces of sq tubing that telescope over it all over the place so you can put the lamp where ever you need it. Good light on the grinder is important you know.

Frosty The Lucky.

I got this old craftsman metal tag socket box from a junk store for 1$ last week.   It should work nicely as a holder for punches chisels etc......

IMAG1252_zps1ukfizlg.jpg

IMAG1253_zpsoiul6s6h.jpg

1 hour ago, coldironkilz said:

Good work! Saves space and----mobile.

Thank you! It will definitely save some space in my rolling tool cabinet for other tools, and in the shop

• 2 weeks later...

So I have been looking for  a snap on kra21c tool box for awhile now and finally found one yesterday at an estate sale.  I am going to mount it on the backside of the rack.  I wont be using frosty's flip down desk idea.  However I am still going to mount the light so that it slides on a rail.

IMAG1273.jpg

IMAG1274.jpg

IMAG1275.jpg

IMAG1276.jpg

IMAG1277.jpg

Haha I knew you would be torn up inside!

well I had to give 60$ for it,  it's more than I have ever paid for a tool box at an estate sale but I think it was a good deal.  it's in very good condition.  all the lines meet straight and drawers work well. 

My wife picked me up some black plastic foam craft board today at the craft store.  it is perfect drawer liner.   it's durable and only 89 cents a sheet. 

IMAG1279.jpg

IMAG1278.jpg

$60.00? Ouch, was it an auction? People can really get carried away at auctions and just the Snap On name drives it up, the company shills see to that.

I've stopped going to auctions up here. The auction companies makes no bones about setting prices and upping bids if they don't like what's going. People still get bid happy and end up paying new sometimes better for old used stuff.

I see a lot of so-so to excellent Craftsman mechanics carry boxes for very reasonable at yard, garage, etc. sales. My best score was a couple three summers ago when I got a Craftsman Master Mechanics roll away and top box jammed with misc. tools for $20.00 at a garage sale but the poor guy's wife was leaning on him hard, she sold me his brand spanking new engine hoist for $50.00, he had new health issues. Less than two weeks later I picked up a Kennedy machinist's top box at a garage sale for $15.00.

I don't even look at tool boxes anymore, a decent parts bin rack would be nice but those are all pretty badly beat up.

Sorry for the ramble, I got off track I'm just so devastated you aren't going to use the desk idea. :wacko:

Frosty The Lucky.

I would pay 60 again the quality of this box compared to my craftsman is far far superior.   Considering the price of these new i think it was a great deal.  Also like that its is 1960's vintage.  It was a estate sale machine shop liquidation.  I had 4 other guys at the sale that wanted it if I was going to pass on it lol.  They had a kra-24 for 30$ also tons of starret and lufkin calipers for 10$ a piece all sizes, lots of hammers radius gauges lathe dogs, lathe chucks drill chucks, vises etc....

• 2 weeks later...