I Forge Iron

Anvil price question

I was surfing craigslist and found the posted listing.  It comes in at almost 7 dollars a pound.  Is there something special about this anvil?

craigslist link removed

I have no desire to buy it.  The price had me really wondering.  I can buy a brand new one that is heavier for less money/lb at   Link removed

Links removed because not following IFI's T & C  on advertising

Recently we had an anvil on craigslist for US$150; as it was missing 90% of it's face I though it was overpriced. It disappeared and several days later showed back up for $525.  I can only guess that they are fishing for suckers!   People see the outrageous asking prices on the net and assume they are valid.  (there's a Fisher for 1100 right now that I wouldn't go past $200)  However most folks don't know about anvils and so think that their beat up Vulcan should sell the same as a pristine Trenton....this then propagates as other people see it on the net.  Classic "bubble".

We started removing ebay, esty, craigslist and other links because people were using the IForgeIron for their own purposes with NO return to the site. The seller made money, buyer saved money, and IForgeIron did not get even a thank you from either party. 

So we discontinued postings from ebay, esty, craigslist and others.

3 hours ago, natenaaron said:

I guess linking to craigs list was a no no.  So here is a pic of the anvil I asked about.  Owner is asking 1375

image 1

It's known as a "Church Window" anvil. These have been used since medieval times(8th century), up until the middle 19th century. Commonly used by armorers and sword makers. With the Hardy hole at the heel, probably late 17 to early 1800's. 196 lbs...price is about right to serious  'smith collector. 

I've had a couple of anvils come through my shop lately with a angled side and I've heard the term of that feature called a "chest". One of which I posted last year in the Anvils section under JHB I think. I have another one made by Soding und Halbach here right now but don't have any pics readily available.

One of the purposes of the chest was to help protect the anvil when using a striker by protecting the edge with a reinforced edge. The anvil pictured above has the chest on the opposite side to the ones I've seen or have had in my possession.

5 hours ago, slowplayrj said:

It's known as a "Church Window" anvil. These have been used since medieval times(8th century), up until the middle 19th century. Commonly used by armorers and sword makers. With the Hardy hole at the heel, probably late 17 to early 1800's. 196 lbs...price is about right to serious  'smith collector. 

1907 Söding & Halbach. At least that is what I see on the chest

That anvil was posted on CL in NM and AZ. I asked the guy what he thought was so special about an anvil of that size that would make it so expensive. He said he had a number of anvils and this particular one was very desireable, being "hand forged" in 1907. It was on CL for about a month, maybe longer then was gone. I wanted to see his other anvils and talk to him about this one but never heard back from him.