I Forge Iron

Scorpion v.2.0

Daswulf

41 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Need to build it on a wind up chassis so it can chase people!  I really like how the rebar worked in that use.

Lol. That would be fun. I'll tell my friend that. Thanks Thomas. 

20 minutes ago, LawnJockey said:

I have an RC tarantula that I chase the cats around the house with when I am not lurking here.

My cats would probably chase this, or try to ride it. :rolleyes:

That came out well Das, really well. How's the customer like it? Did you charge her enough?

We have a clowder of feral cats we trapped, neutered, vaccinated and released. Our place is their territory and they defend it so we don't have to worry about more litters and they handle varmints. Oh, Deb spent many hours over weeks of time sitting in the barn gentling the kittens down before she trapped, vet checked, neutered, vaccinated and re-homed them. One kitten was just too leery to re-home, the vet office still tells the story about opening the kennel to do the med work on him. He was doing laps around the walls against the ceiling. They had to gas him to work on him. Qiviut lives in our upstairs and almost trusts me enough to be friends.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thomas, I've never had rodent problems either, other then to take the "Gifts" off the porch.

Frosty, My friend LOVED it. and I gave it to him at work and he showed the whole shop. now i have a bunch of commissions and requests. 

thats good of you for those cats. i have a bunch myself that i'm working at getting fixed. they all gravitate to me because i leave food out for them... and the skunks, possums, and raccoons..  as long as they leave the chickens alone. *shrugs

That's a cool scorpion, Das. Good proportion. I like the way you have set the legs backwards - looks real. The chain makes a good tail. 

I bet the buyer was a Scorpio. I've had a couple of mine on display and those who want to buy them are usually of that star sign.

12 hours ago, ausfire said:

That's a cool scorpion, Das. Good proportion. I like the way you have set the legs backwards - looks real. The chain makes a good tail. 

I bet the buyer was a Scorpio. I've had a couple of mine on display and those who want to buy them are usually of that star sign.

Good point about the zodiac sign aspect, Aus, I hadn't thought of that. On a similar note I suppose a crab  would suit me before my day's first cup of coffee.

Frosty The Lucky.

The only suggestion I would make for the next one is to hike the rear end up more. I have scorpions all around me , and when they feel threatened they really get their rear end up as they arch the stinger over their head. I like it that you got the number of legs right, I have seen a few of them with only six legs and the pincers. We have the Hairy Scorpions here, they are the largest in North America reaching 6" long. The biggest I have had in the house were some pregnant females in the 4"+ range.  If they are in the house, or basement I catch and release them outside. They are good at keeping the vast numbers of cockroaches down. 

On 12/19/2015 at 1:46 AM, ausfire said:

Thanks Ausfire, After the first one i went back looking at pictures of them and noticed the legs set like that and went for the look. The buyer actually isn't a Scorpio. not sure why he wanted a scorpion but I'm glad he did because it was really fun to make and he and I both love how it turned out. Might have to make some more later. Good selling point :) 

22 hours ago, Frosty said:

Good point about the zodiac sign aspect, Aus, I hadn't thought of that. On a similar note I suppose a crab  would suit me before my day's first cup of coffee.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, How about a crab coffee mug coaster? ;) 

56 minutes ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

The only suggestion I would make for the next one is to hike the rear end up more. I have scorpions all around me , and when they feel threatened they really get their rear end up as they arch the stinger over their head. I like it that you got the number of legs right, I have seen a few of them with only six legs and the pincers. We have the Hairy Scorpions here, they are the largest in North America reaching 6" long. The biggest I have had in the house were some pregnant females in the 4"+ range.  If they are in the house, or basement I catch and release them outside. They are good at keeping the vast numbers of cockroaches down. 

BigGun, I did make the hind end a little higher then the front, though not as much as i should have. I did notice the arching up of the hind end in the pictures I looked at. Initially I wanted to heat and bend the connecting rod i used as the body base but decided against it last minute. Good point tho. some pictures i looked at had a bit smaller front legs that are more forward set but this worked for the look i was going for. 

I'm glad i dont have any in my area. 6" long :o that would creep me out a little. I always try to release spiders found in the house here. good pest control. 

I always heard that it's the small scorpions to really watch out for. any truth in that?

The only time I was stung was by one around 1"on my big toe, but I stepped on him first in the dark in my bare feet, so I figured we were even. It was like a bee sting, and went away after about a couple of minutes. Let me tell ya, the big ones have a much larger stinger, and more venom,  so I am glad it was just a small one. 

Like bees, if you have allergic reactions to the sting it can be worse. Also there are different types of scorpions down here. The Bark scorpion is making its way up here by hitching rides on the palm trees coming out of Arizona. They are smaller, and their venom is worse. 

I have heard the smaller is worse with rattlesnakes, and that was explained to me that was because the small ones cannot control the venom release like the older snakes can, so you get the whole batch. The bigger snakes can regulate the release depending on how big the prey is.  The small scorpions are also just harder to see, and can hide in smaller places. You get used to shaking out your shoes before putting them on.....

Makes me glad i live in an area without many poisonous nasties. Copperheads are our worst snake and i've never seen one in my immediate area. not too bad with poisonous spiders either, but there are some. I welcome the bees but once i was mowing grass and had set a beer on the picnic table and without looking took a swig just to have a bee latch on to my tongue and sting it. all in all i'm glad it grabbed my tongue and kept me from swallowing it. so i always check a drink i've sat down anymore :rolleyes:

:) Ausfire, awesome work! What were the claws on the first one? Look like plier handles but the insides have an awesome texture. And are the ball bearings on the tail friction held? Awesome work! Love your use of different parts in em. 

4 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I have a crabby coffee mug Das but its a thought.

Another cool one Aus. Looks like one of those mutant rattle scorpions out near White Sands nuke test site.

Frosty The Lucky.

Well a crab crabby coffee mug coaster would be perfect then. ;)

Das, the claws on the first one are pieces from an old printing press which we scrapped. They look like cast iron and are printed with the maker's name. But they will bend and they weld fairly easily. Strange metal. I'm not sure what function they performed on the old offset printer, but there were hundreds of them of different sizes.

The ball bearings in the tail are held by the original structure. It's just a large ball bearing race cut in half. The ballbearings still move in their housings. I am fortunate to have a son who is a fitter/turner for a big zinc mining company and he saves these things for me out of the massive pumps that he has to work on.

The body of the first one is a ball pein hammer and the second one is a ratchet. Since these two, I have got better at sloping the legs up and back, as you have done in yours.