I Forge Iron

My new 150 lb 1907 Fisher

Guffey1998

Just found this anvil on Craigslist.

I paid $2 per pound, which I though was fair. 

Condition looks decent, although I'm not an anvil expert.

Any thoughts on the face condition?

would it be worth a light flap wheel resurface or best to keep it how it is?

I'm not a blacksmith, just a tool junky.

thoughts?

thanks.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

You did right with the wire wheel and oil. 

Lol no, wouldn't trust a bucked to even set it on. Never know. There's lots of forums on here about anvil stands. I think it's more personal preference with some common sense.  Good and sturdy is the way to go. Stump, steel, 4x4s 6x6s. If you go with wood at all try to do it so the wood grain is vertical to get the maximum support/ strength for your hammering.  Read around on here then look around to see what you have on hand. Just secure it well. Don't want wobbling when your working. 

• 1 month later...

Leave the face as is.  No need to remove any of the hard face steel.

An interesting anecdote for those with Fisher anvils made in 1907.  That year was the most prolific for Fisher.  They made more anvils that year than any other.  I think I have 5 with that date in the museum.

That's a pretty nice anvil for a fisher. I got a 100 pound fisher which is great, but the hardy hole and edges are a bit messed up. You guys oil your anvils? How often and what kind oil? I might have to go an wire wheel my anvil and then put some oil on it. Anyways, arts a pretty good find and I have been on the look out for a heavier fisher for the future. It will serve you well!