I Forge Iron

Green metal after forging and quench?

I have a 1" round bar that I got as scrap.  It was an old shaft from some manufacturing equipment.  It was more shiny than most scrap I get but I thought it was from polishing.  It had some rust on it but only in a few places.  I heated it up in my gas forge (which I don't use much).  After forging and quenching I noticed it was tinted green.  The water in the slack bucket was very old and has been outside for over a year.  I am hoping that the green tint is from the water but afraid it may be some kind of coating on the metal.  There was no noticable smoke when the piece was heated to forging temps.  I am half way into this project and don't want to scrap the pieces but also don't want to poison my self :). I know someone is going to say heat up some mild still and quench it.  I am not sure why that brilliant idea didn't come to me before I closed down the forge for the weekend but here we are.  Has anyone else seen something like this from very dirty water or a propane forge? 

1 hour ago, Steve Sells said:

why did you quench it after forging, its normally best to allow a slow cool, not attempt to harden, after the stress of the forge.?

I believe he might simply meant a cooling off quench. That's one of the uses the slack tub is for. Not always just for hardening. Think non-knife here, Steve :D. We don't always want to wait for stuff to air cool so we can pick it up to work another end, examine for further work, measure etc. I don't generally douse yellow or even red steel (but have if I want to isolate heat for example); but cool off a black hot piece so I can lay it down without burning the surface or especially my fingers? Sure! All day long. Still a quench by definition.

Scott

Hey Steve, 

Dodge is correct.  I was just trying to cool the pieces down quickly before the next stage (twisting some heat isolated sections on the bars).  These are going to be pieces of a table that I am texturing to look like tree bark.  Not everyone makes pointy objects all day :).  Love the book by the way.  

The bars are as magnetic as mild steel.  greenbars.thumb.jpg.116601f5491865fefef4

47 minutes ago, John McPherson said:

The chromium atoms leaching from a stainless steel vessel is what turns egg yolks green if they sit too long.

Actually, it's iron reacting with the hydrogen sulfide that forms when the egg is held at too high a heat for too long. Scrambling eggs in a cast iron pan makes it worse, since there's more iron for the  H2S to react with than is normally found in the yolk itself.

Is that the piece pictured above? It actually looks pretty good as it is. Almost like an actual tree. Get the water tested if it turns out you can give anything that color and add that finish to your portfolio. So long as you don't poison yourself, obviously.

Yeah, 

The piece to the left is one of the 7 almost finished legs and the piece to the right is what it looked like after pulling the stock out of the forge and quenching.  I thought they looked pretty neat as is but the wife wants it to be more gnarly so I am going to put a few slight twists in sections.  

• 3 weeks later...