I Forge Iron

Being a striker?

For the last few months I'v attended the local monthly meetings of my areas blacksmith group. They are looking to have a hammer class sometime and the deal is you pay a certain fee and you are the striker for your hammer. Not being very experiance, my son and I are stumbling through it together, exactly what would be a good way to practice up to be a striker for your hammer?

technique... what size hammer practice with... etc.. I don't forsee the class being much sooner than the end of the first quarter so there should be some time to develope a little stremgtj, stamina and accuracy.

Anyhow, tips and suggestions are welcomed.

Scott

Hammer size will depend on who is using it. 8-12 would be fine for me, but might be on the heavy side for a younger kid.

Different people like to have someone strike in different ways. I did a lot of splitting with sledge and wedge as a kid, and have driven a ton of pins doing concrete work using sledges over the years. However when I was asked to help strike at one of our meetings on a demo, I got a crash course in how the smith wanted me to strike. One hand on the end of the handle, one hand up near the head and it was sort of a pivot motion, vs a swing like I'd have normally used. It felt awkward for a while, but wasn't so bad by about mid way. ( Sorry I wish I had a better way to describe this)

As DSW says, it depends on the smith what style he wants used. 

Although you may be comfortable AND accurate with a full swing which puts down a LOT of power, the smith may want a blacksmithing stance and swing that HE feels comfortable with.

You can use the blacksmithing stance and swings while splitting fire wood using a wedge and sledge. No use passing up the opportunity to get the wood split for winter.

If you know who you are going to work with ask him how he would like a striker to swing.  Then practice that swing splitting wood.  You can set a stump up so your wood to be split is about the same as what you will be striking.  Then try out different sledges.  Also remember that you can make a stump.  Don't have to have a real one.  Put some two by twelves together and bingo stump.  Easier to make different heights to. 

The Peddinghaus striking hammer I have weights 3 kg or about 6.6 lbs.  the handle is shorter than the standard 8 lb double faced sledge. 

The pivot swing while it feels awkward  provides the greatest control and is less tiring than the usual  log splitting swing. Personally I Think I can strike longer and faster with the piviot swing 

The smith will TELL you how to swing for him/er. Even experienced strikers expect and receive instruction from the master smith at the time. "Master" smith being the counterpoint to the striker, master and striker can switch off for whatever reason.

It's a whole different form of hammer work than splitting, driving wedges, forge welding anchors, etc. I don't think I've ever seen someone take a full swing striking.

Frosty The Lucky.

but splitting with a wedge and sledge will get the muscles built up and train you to hit where you are aiming...

I've done a lot of that. Would you like me to strike for you if we meet up? I'm not so muscly anymore but I can still hit my mark.

Frosty The Lucky.