New Blacksmith looking for opinions

Curtis87

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Curtis87 said:

Just an update,

got the cement done and I like how it looks. Does anyone have any pointers on how to "heat cure" this stuff?

is a regular oven sufficient or would there be some health risks?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

You can put it in the oven not to hot though, treat it likes ribs in a smoker almost , long heat at low temp because the outside will setup first but can lead to cracks once it's mostly dry throw it in the forge and start a fire for awhile then add coal/air

A surprising amount of blacksmithing is playing the waiting game. For all the excitement and fast action of working hot metal before it cools, we spend more time than one might expect waiting for metal to anneal or normalize, blades to temper in an oven, and yes, refractory material to dry and cure.

Alright, so i got a little impatient with the cement and threw it in the oven before it was fully cured.... And maybe I set it a bit to hot.

anyway I was able to push it back into shape, sort of......it was so perfect before.

i included a picture of my air supply, is there a way to know if you have enough airflow without starting a fire?

the dryer has two speeds and I can control the flow with the ball valve. But even at full it doesn't feel too strong. I have no idea what would be too strong though. Is there some kind of "rule of thumb" for this?

image.jpg

image.jpg

I'd be willing to bet a shiny nickel that the steel you melted actually burned. That could be because you left it in too long and what little oxygen was available ate it up at the high temperature or it could be because of a fireball that was too small. I noticed that on my first few burns, back when I was afraid to pile fuel on, that steel burned very, very quickly.

With a proper fireball, about the size of a melon, you don't have to be quite as careful about pulling stock out as soon as it reaches the temperature you want to work it at, at least from the perspective of getting everything out that you put in. The deeper fire consumes the oxygen that burns your stock up. I scratched my head for quite a while figuring that one out. 

Curtis,

Clinker will be heavy and have all kinds of particulate matter included and have a shiny glassy and/or metallic luster.  Coke will be light and airy, sort of like black or gray styrofoam.  Melted steel will look a little like clinker, and in some respects it sorta is.....

I had a small drain cover lying around the garage that fit the hole perfectly, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to try it. To my surprise, after running an extremely hot fire for a couple of hours, the cover was completely unscathed. I think this is because it sits inside the tuyere, rather than on top, so it's not in contact with any heat. 

I'm also quite sure that if I shut the lower off it would melt quickly

image.jpg

So after using my new forge a few times, every thing runs smoothly until after about an hour or so of forging I end up with a chunk of clinker that blocks the entire fire pot. Is there's way to spot this Before it gets so large? Or am I just burning way too much steel? 

As for you clinker blocking the tuyere, some folks can pick it out by poking around the bottom and sticking a sharp-pointed rod in the sticky, gummy pieces, dragging them to the surface.  I never was successful in doing that, so I just kill the air flow, gently rake the surface coke aside, wait a few seconds and then scoop out the one-piece clinker as it hardens (hopefully one piece).  You gotta be quick though, so you can rake the live, burning coke back in over the tuyere and pour the air to it to restart your fire.  Wait too long, and you have to restart it.

When my fire starts to act starved, I usually pull out a clinker about the size of a pancake and about as thick.  It just slides out as one piece and I'm back to working.  If I don't let it cool just the right amount I get pieces.  You'll figure out your best solution...every forge is different.

Ok, so I have the clinker problem under control ( sort of).  Now my next issue is huge chunks of coal/coke building up around the fire. I don't know if this is normal or not but it gets in the way when I try to slide the material into the fire. if I don't keep smacking it with my scoop it makes a hard shell all the way around the fire pot and even on top.