I Forge Iron

Swage Blocks

Iron Poet

I've been searching for a good swage block, especially one with triangular grooves. I have found a few places that sell them like Pieh or Saltfork but they aren't quite what I'm looking for. Searching on craigslist is hopeless in my area, and ebay is killing my soul.

Would it be advisable just to have the pattern I have in mind custom cast? If I go that route, I'd be able to make it exactly how I want, but it would more than likely cost me dearly. I'd be quite happy if anyone had any good leads to follow up on.

I misspoke the S/Blocks are $170 & they weigh 70 lbs. we also have 1" fire pots with clinker bkr, & 4 1/2" cone mandrels cast for us  I'll try to get pic's tomorrow John

Sorry I didn't think of it before if you go to New England Blacksmiths web site there might be pic's John

I misspoke the S/Blocks are $170 & they weigh 70 lbs. we also have 1" fire pots with clinker bkr, & 4 1/2" cone mandrels cast for us  I'll try to get pic's tomorrow John

Sorry I didn't think of it before if you go to New England Blacksmiths web site there might be pic's John

It looks very similar to the Saltfork swage block, it's too bad they don't have a picture of the otherside available.

Good Morning,

Take a piece of "cut-off" or what sometimes is called a "Drop" and make what you seem to think is important. Press a shape into a hot block with a hydraulic press. Talk to your local steel supplier or Fabrication Shop, What is in their scrap pile. Don't go in asking, with empty hands. Payment doesn't necessarily mean MONEY. Something for their lunchroom (box of muffins) or something for the Boss. Scope it out first, What does he drive? What does he do for recreation?, What do his kids do?? etc. What does the Torch Operator, like?

Neil

If you have a horizontal vertical cut off band saw you can saw your V and hex grooves and do a little cleaning up with a file. Through holes are drill press saw and file work. half rounds require a second block clamped to the block, drill the desired size hole between them. Yes you can drill  large holes, use a hole saw, slow rpm, gentle feed rate. Air hose to clear chips and cool the saw.

Of course if you make your pattern and do enough bribing at the local iron foundry it might accidentally get poured with when they clean the ladle on a pour

Frosty The Lucky.

V's in the side of a piece of heavy block would be easy if you have access to a full sized mill. A nice swage  block would have made a dandy milling project when I was taking the machining class at the tech school at night. I'd either have cranked the head on the mill over to 45 deg or set the block up on a step at 45 deg and simply milled in various sized V's using an end mill.

I may eventually do something similar to this and Frosty's idea to make 1/2 rounds and some small thru holes since my swage block doesn't have any small shapes in it. Smallest starts at about 1" and goes up.

Edited by DSW

How many V's do you need and what size? 

Find a piece of angle iron, turn it point down, and weld it to a hardie plate. Build up the sides so they are supported. Make one hardie block at a time in the size you need. Much easier to carry one hardie block that you can use rather than a 100 pound block with several features you do not use. (grin) 

How many V's do you need and what size? 

Find a piece of angle iron, turn it point down, and weld it to a hardie plate. Build up the sides so they are supported. Make one hardie block at a time in the size you need. Much easier to carry one hardie block that you can use rather than a 100 pound block with several features you do not use. (grin) 

I do a few small shows and festivals in my area. Weight isn't an issue, however space is. A swage block is much easier to squeeze in than what you suggested. However I have made a few of those, mostly shallow ones I made to preserve the spine of leaves.