I Forge Iron

Counter Balancing a Hanger

I have been requested to make a hanger for a special cloth for my church, and the hanger needs to be longer on one end, so it fits in the closet. The fabric will be on the longer part, and the hook will be offset. 

My Question is, how can I counter balance this so as to keep it from hanging askew? 

0912151007.thumb.jpg.1cae500595d45050f8d

Thanks, 

Ridgewayforge

Weight L x length L on the left = weight R x length R on the right

You can use the weight of the cloth as W, and the middle of the cloth as it is folded across the hanger as the length. From there locate the weight per measurement of the metal and divide it into small segments such as 2 inches. That will give you the center point of the length and the weight of the 2 inch section. From there it is just adding all the numbers left and all the numbers right and adjust to make the end result equal. Graph paper will help in the calculations.  For bends use the center line of the metal.

Yes I know it is math and math can be scary but it can also be so very simple if broken down into small pieces.

You can also think of using a modified single tree with an off set center of load.

Just move the hook to the center and let the cloth keep it level. If there isn't room to let it hang cross ways to the rod then put a turn in the hook so it hangs at an angle remaining horizontal in the closet.

Yes, SS to prevent stains.

Frosty The Lucky.

A sleeve to keep the cloth from resting directly on the hanger is a good idea and I think a high quality clear coat on the rest should do for many years. I have wire coat hangers I brought with me from California more than 43 years ago. Maybe find out what they're coated with?

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty

The weight of the cloth is spread out over the entire length of the hanger, so some of it will be on both sides of the centerline.  As such, incorporating a decorative scroll or some leaves to add metal/weight to the high end when it's hanger is on the bar will be more than enough to balance things out.

The way you have it drawn, you're placing the hook well to the left of center, and I'm not sure I understand why this has to be a design feature.  Regardless, I wouldn't simply scrunch up the metal to create a counterbalance on the high side.  Looks ugly and amateurish.

Scrolls, leaves, spikes and collars will add weight and look attractive.

IMG_3127.JPG

Because you're dealing with a cloth that spans the entire length of the hanger, you'll need that cloth to help design the hanger.

The weight of the cloth will play a huge role in how the hanger hangs and where you need to place decorative counter-weights.

I would make up a handful of small scrolls and leaves, then fasten them to the hanger with clothespins.  That way you can move things around however needed when the cloth is in place.  Take a few photos of the final solution just in case things get knocked around on the way back to the shop.

Just remember to keep the design fluid and graceful.  

Downside of clothespins will be the added weight which will mess with your balance. The suggestion earlier of a drilled counter weight and threaded screw would solve this issue. If you wanted to use decorations and attach them temporarily, something small and light weight for tacking would work, say hot glue, or small pieces of double sided sticky tape it you didn't want to tack weld them in place.

A friend of mine used to build complex fan blade assemblies for a company. When each fan was all assembled, he would mount them on a balancing rig, and note where the "heavy" side of the fan was. Then he'd make a small mig tack at the high side of the fan's balance point, and then check balance again. If the weld was too heavy, he could simply grind some off the tack to lighten it. Pretty much the same thing you do to balance out a ceiling fan to eliminate wobble with the old double sided tape and pennies trick. If need be you can fine tune your balance the same way if need be.