I Forge Iron

With no electricity

Halbrust

There was a neo tribal video put out by Tim Lively that was all by hand, I've seen Willie White do a pretty good sized knife all by hand at a SOFA Quad-State I don't know if any of the videos made back then are still available to buy.

Draw filing is surprisingly efficient if you figure a way to keep the knife rigid while using it.  I tend to take a 1x4 and clamp it in the vise and then c clamp the blade to it so that there is the edge of the board under the entire blade

Edited by ThomasPowers

Hoods Woods Volume 9 with Tai Goo and Tim Lively is the number one resource I recommend for people starting out.  The only electricity used is brief usage of a stone-wheeled bench grinder and a hand drill.  Knifemaking Unplugged with Tim and Marian Lively goes a little more in-depth, and Tai has two videos that focus on muscle-powered forging and knife making.

Remember, old school was to use a foot treadle large grinding wheel like the kind you see in old movies sharpening axes.  A good wheel can be pretty efficient but is, like all things old including me, slower.  You can do pretty much any grinding on one that you'd be able to do on a knife belt grinder today. 

A good shop would have several wheels from coarse to fine.  Apprentice work.

I just picked one up that is in restorable but questionable shape.  One of these days if I can get the 5 lifetimes of projects caught up on, I'll give it a try on a scratch-made knife.

A good quarry of quality stone for grinding wheels could make you rich in the old days.

NO NO NO!  foot powered grindstones were used to touch up edges NOT grind to shape.  Look up Sheffield Cutlery industry history for pictures of the 8'+ diameter water powered grindstones used to get SFPM at low rev's.

The anvil manufacturer in Columbus OH used to throw them away when they got to be 4' in diameter---they are still in the river below where the factory was.  

A good file would by hours faster than using a treadle grindstone for major removal.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I've watched a few, and will continue to search for others. Draw filing is one of the things that is "so simple", but I can't find videos of. Nothing in depth, or with length at least. I watched a 10+ minute video about using sandpaper and a block to smooth and polish your blade. There has to be as much info to pass along about draw filing.

My middle school industrial arts books cover it fairly well.  You do realize you can ILL such books from your local public library, right?   Really draw filing is such a simple task why would someone waste the time and effort to make a video of it?   I taught a simple knifemaking class at a campout last weekend and the draw filing part was about two minutes: demo, hand the file to the student, correct their problems and done.  I don't think a video will correct your stance or the angle of your file.

I frequently use drawfiling for knife bevels and things that I want to hog metal off pretty fast. Two important things to remember when drawfiling. It's really only drawfiling when you hold the tang side with your left hand and pull towards yourself horizontally, or at an angle that is close to horizontal. When you hold the tang with your right hand and push that is called push filing. Both work really well once you develop a rhythm. I have actually gotten into such a rhythm where the stock becomes warm, (not hot) because so much metal is being hogged off so fast. Don't draw/push back and forth or you'll dull the file's teeth. They are meant to cut in one direction.  Also, use a file card frequently or you'll scratch up the stock.

Coarse file to start.  Also removing all the scale first will help your files last longer.  If you don't have access to an angle grinder and overnight soak in regular kitchen vinegar will allow you to wash the scale off in the morning.  Note that drawfiling is done before hardening. After hardening you are usually limited to abrasive papers 

Powdering your file with chalk helps prevent a significant amount of shavings from sticking between the teeth. I use 12'' Simonds bastard files a lot because I have about 40 unused NOS of them. But my favorite file for drawfiling are Simonds Multicut files because they remove so much steel fast and still leave a relatively smooth surface compared to coarser files. I'm talking about the older, US made Simonds Multicut files. The new Honduras made ones with the black oxide coating are okay but not nearly as aggressive as the old US made ones.

Draw filing is done with a single cut file. Keep some down pressure, hold the file perpendicular to the part, and pull it towards you. Ease up on the down pressure, and slide the file back to the beginning point. This will remove some of the filings stuck in the file teeth.  I have done some major clean up work on firearms that were severely pitted with draw filing. 

drawfiling.thumb.jpg.331d1c9fb27f993ad2d

This man is push filing. The tang is in his right hand as he pushes away from himself so the teeth will cut on the push stroke. Draw filing would look the same except that the tang would be in his left hand and he would be pulling (drawing) toward himself. I know that some people push or pull regardless of which way they are holding the tang but the teeth are meant to cut in one direction so you will be dulling your file. I know they are consumables but I treat my American made NOS files like precision cutting instruments. I even wear gloves when I file so I won't get sweat and rust all over the file.

Edited by Anthony San Miguel

I think peter ross talked about drawfiling a bit on one of his Woodwright shop cameos, perhaps the one with the padlocks?

He has in more than one Woodwright shop episode, whenever it was part of the process. IIRC the draw knife and chest hardware episodes come to mind though I think the plates on the locks were draw filed.

Frosty The Lucky.