I Forge Iron

Moses anvil,for sale?

This anvil for sale in Australia (Queensland) starting at $4000.00 is being described as the very one on page 12 of Richard Postmans book anvils in America.Just wondered if anyone knew more,  Richard Postman describes it as the oldest Smith`s Anvil in America. I`m confused.

$.jpg

$_i.jpg

Well the meteorites used as anvils by the indigenous people in North America sort of trump that by centuries and I don't think he's done much research into the spanish presence that was here long before the english settlements; so I'm not so prone to make a rush to venerate it.

At this stage I`m more than a little skeptical about it , the photos don`t show the other side with has the 5th foot or toe, you went over my head with your last replay:unsure:

Edited by stan

AIA describes the Moses anvil  as being in the collection of the Rochester, NY Historical Society.  I doubt that it has left their collection.  While the pictures posted look similar to the one in the book, there are differences.  So someone is hoping for an uninformed person(sucker) comes along with some serious $$.

I know we can't give links to ads on this site, but can you give us a hint where you saw it? I've checked the usual on-line places. 

I doubt very much if it's genuine and the seller is pretty hopeful at that price - even in Australia. I would like to see the ad and whereabouts in Qld it is.

Hi Ausfire the anvil is on ebay anvils page 2 and its been sold in Ipswich their also selling other anvils.Yeah I emailed them and its not the one but they are still saying its a moses anvil dated 1660s

Thanks Stan, yeah I found it. I see the same guy has a 178 kg Peter Wright made in the U.S. Well, I think he's wrong on two counts there. Aren't Peter Wright a British make? And it's stamped 2 - 1 - 22, which according to my maths is 274 lb. About 124 kg. 

He's got a starting price of $1200 which seems fair. I guess he's expecting more. I've put it on the watch list to see how he goes. Not an accurate description though. And $4000 for the so called "Moses" is dodgy.

Yeah these guys who have a bit of extra knowledge can sometimes be dangerous. I emailed him and he said its legit and that the Admiralty in UK wanted to buy it but could not afford it.? He should have said the PW came for the US no an American PW.

Ayup, you can believe it if you see it in writing you betcha. You can, Really I AM 6'3" buff as humanly possible, blond and am constantly followed by droves of supermodels.  Honest, it says so right here! :rolleyes:

Frosty The Lucky.

their is something called  provenance,   if that anvil is "word of mouth"

then its a real nice anvil.

if it has "provenance"  then  it would be worth something.

just cause someone tells a real nice story only means they are a good story teller

Frosty, I'd ask if you've seen a doctor about these delusions of yours, but then I remember about that "tree", so I guess that explains it. Your wife probably is happy if you think she's a super model. She'd probably be less happy if your delusions about the super models were real though. LOL :lol:

Not a problem for Deb, she put them to work doing house work. The burly boys following her are getting good at manicuring the grounds.

It's all good. I'm thinking of marketing the secret technique on the Home Shopping Network.

But wait . . . there's MORE!

Frosty The Lucky.

On 6/20/2015 at 8:20 PM, stan said:

I emailed him and he said its legit and that the Admiralty in UK wanted to buy it but could not afford it.? He should have said the PW came for the US no an American PW.

Yes, I emailed him too and told him his maths was a bit off. I see he has changed the weight in the listing. I also see he has no bids yet.

• 5 years later...

I know this reply is a few years after your Australian friend weighed in on someone purporting to be selling a Moses Anvil Down Under. Does anyone know what happened with that??? As I am a direct descendant of John Moses, who was a shipwright, and brought the anvil with him when he emigrated from England in 1632 to Portsmouth. Our family can attest to its' Provenance and that it still at present is with the Rochester Historical Society and as per historical regulations, it cannot be sold. The Moses side of my family has always kept very good written records and maintained to this day a tradition of elders recounting their histories via video now and written be the "Youngin's"......I reckon', like too many other things in this world, someone saw an opportunity to make a dollar. That is why I am following up on this story belatedly and to inform my most honored Blacksmiths, Iron Forge Workers etc kinfolk in spirit that there is only one John Moses Anvil and Hammer 1632 and as previously stated it was donated to the Rochester Historical Society by my late cousin Aurelia Moses, eldest daughter of Elisha Moses Jr. Warmest Regards, Riecie Moses- Judd- Denler- Morrick

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a little late to this thread, but looking in my copy of AIA, on page 12 it shows this anvil and it's not the same anvil.  It should have a 5th toe to even be of the same type.  Sure, it's colonial by the looks, but I wouldn't even dream of paying $4,000 for it.  

Something about the horn doesn't look right either.  On those old colonial ones you can usually see that the horn was forge welded into a slot in the front and this one looks solid cast almost.  I've not seen too many of them in person though.