I Forge Iron

A friend of mine owns this very nice old anvil. It has not been used in many years - just a family possession. I wanted to let them know what make it is, but there are no identifying marks at all. No weight numbers, nothing.

I would estimate about 300lbs. Any guesses? (I know that's near impossible with nothing to go on! :rolleyes:)

DSC_4040.jpg

Well its English made and if I'm reading it correctly it's 454lbs (you can see 4.0.6) stamped on the side, at least that's what it looks like to me, other than that, it looks very similar to every other English made anvil of the period so without a makes makers mark is probably unidentifiable.

Foundryman, you're a legend. I enlarged the pic and true enough, the numbers 4 - 0 - 6 are there. With all those stray cuts and marks I missed them even after looking over that anvil closely. I should have seen the even spacing between them. And I was well short with my weight estimate. It is very heavy and takes some moving. I worry a bit though, because it's out in the open in this guy's yard and with the high value placed on anvils over here it could disappear. 

Anyway, I can tell him it's English and weighs 454#. Thanks.

Foundryman, you're a legend. I enlarged the pic and true enough, the numbers 4 - 0 - 6 are there. With all those stray cuts and marks I missed them even after looking over that anvil closely. I should have seen the even spacing between them. And I was well short with my weight estimate. It is very heavy and takes some moving. I worry a bit though, because it's out in the open in this guy's yard and with the high value placed on anvils over here it could disappear. 

Anyway, I can tell him it's English and weighs 454#. Thanks.

hey the credit goes to you for uploading high quality photos, that and my new phone has an amazing screen!

I'm with nobody special here, put some grease (maybe graphite grease for the mess factor) under the horn and heel and that anvil won't go anywhere without mechanical assistance. My own anvil is the same weight and was all myself and my brother could do to lift it onto its stand and that was without having to contend with grease! Whatever they choose to do, I hope they don't lose it, it's a beautiful anvil!

I sent a message to the owner this morning with the details of his anvil, and suggesting it be moved. He replied that he had a spot in the bedroom for it. :lol: