I Forge Iron

old anvil no marks

I want to buy an anvil, i found this in a used tool market, no visible marks, the waist looks a little weird, like it has been grinded

But i dont know if this is good quality, can you, distinguised and experienced guys identify it and give an estimate of how much to pay?  many thanks

anvil8.jpg

anvil.jpg

Can you visit the anvil? If so take a ball bearing or small ball pein hammer and perform a rebound test. Drop the ball bearing from a distance, 10" is good and estimate how far it rebounds, bounces back up. IIRC above around 70% is a good rebound. Do it over the entire face and look for dead spots, a place the bearing doesn't bounce much and it sounds significantly different than the rest of the face. Be aware it will rebound less over the heal but the change will be gradual and follow the thinning of the anvil body under the face.

Using a hammer, smooth faced hammer works the same way you just don't drop it. Hold the hammer a given distance above the face and let the head drop OR give it a light tap but his takes more experience to judge how hard you're hitting something. Anyway, you estimate how far the hammer rebounds it's the same test, just a little different metric. (measuring method) I really like the hammer because I can tell a lot by how the hammer feels in my hand. It's one of my main sources of feed back and how I read the steel I'm forging anyway so using the meter I'm most familiar with is more reliable but that's ME. YMMV

Without a rebound test I'd say that's a beautiful anvil, excellent condition and a good shape. Thick waisted anvils tend to be quieter and have a wider sweet spot.

Size and weight is a good question, it's important. Assuming the fellow's thumb, knuckle to nail tip is more average length than my little stumpies call it about 2.5"- 2.75" long the face would be approximately 17" to 19" long and approximately 5.6" to 6.33" wide. Approximately 8.5" - 9.7" tall.

Not hard numbers by a long shot, I'm gauging off the screen with dividers and a scale using the guy's thumb from tip to joint as the bench mark. Now for a WAG, I put it in the 100+lb. range FWIW.

Frosty The Lucky.

Size and weight is a good question, it's important. Assuming the fellow's thumb, knuckle to nail tip is more average length than my little stumpies call it about 2.5"- 2.75" long the face would be approximately 17" to 19" long and approximately 5.6" to 6.33" wide. Approximately 8.5" - 9.7" tall.

That's a woman's hand there frosty, the nail varnish gives it away, so your size guesses may be a little optimistic, other than that, it looks like a good anvil in good condition, I'd buy it if the price was right.

This is a typical north German single horn pattern anvil made by Peddinghaus and should be marked on the other side 'PFP' (Paul Ferdinand Pettinghaus) in a square.  A 2 piece anvil, forge welded.

First, many thanks to all of you, very enthusiastc and kwoledgeable fellows, for your help,  Im in Vietnam, in Saigon,   i guestimate the woman would ask for something around -150 to 200 equivalent to Us  dollars, the size of the rectangular face is around -14-16 inches i do not have the exact number. It seems to me to be in the order of 100 pounds in weigth,