I Forge Iron

What is this thing??

ausfire

Not a blacksmithing question so I hope it's OK here.
Lurking amongst our scrap stuff is this monster of a thing. I'm wondering if it's worth dragging out for display, but it would help if we knew what it was. It appears to have two very heavy bar slides on which are hooked several steel blocks with lugs on the top. The whole lot can be compressed using a screw mechanism on one end. It is all solid cast (?) iron or steel and is very heavy -quite a few tonnes.
The only markings I can find are Johnson & Co. Stratford, so I assume it's British made.
Here are a couple of angles:
post-50874-0-14448000-1417749049_thumb.j
post-50874-0-28504300-1417749106_thumb.j
Also found another one similar, but smaller. The steel plates appear to be textured in a circular pattern.
post-50874-0-96597400-1417749239_thumb.j
Any ideas?

post-50874-0-36862000-1417749285_thumb.j

Looks like a filter setup for refining liquids. The permeable membrane is placed between each plate then the stack is compressed with the screw. The liquid to be filtered is then pumped thru under pressure and when the filters begin to get full the screw is released and all the contaminates and particles are on the membranes which are replaced with clean ones.

Thats my best guess!

Yep, you nailed it. I looked up 'filter press' and there it was. They appear to have had a variety of applications in the food industry. I think this particular must have been used in the mining industry, possibly for processing tailings from the treatment works.
Thanks!
Here's a picture I found:
post-50874-0-58580900-1417778672_thumb.j

We use a much smaller version to filter the fine sand out of Maple Syrup after it is boiled down and before canning. Sand particles come up with the sap out of the roots the heavier ones end up on the bottom of the pans but the fine stay with the syrup.

Ahhh, now the question is.....what to do with it?

Well, now I know what sort of label to put on them. I'll lift both of them out of the scrap and spray a bit of rust preventive on them, then they can go into a visitor access area with other machinery.
I'll call them filter presses used in the mining industry, date unknown.