I Forge Iron

Peddinghaus, the drop forged steel anvil

TechnicusJoe

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, from my point of view, the Peddinghaus anvils are the best.

If you look at my website www.german-anvil.com (private anvil collection), you can see three very rare hand-forged Peddinghaus anvils and how they are stemped (weight, PFP, II for factory two) and also drop-forged smaller once stamped "ORIGINAL PFP" or only "PFP". Having some time you can also look at the other anvils.

Peter from germany.

• 2 years later...

I noticed something recently that I would like to add to this conversation. I have had my model 12 for around 5 years and love it (admittedly light use with two moves and two kids in that time span). I recently bought a bottom tool with a long shank, and it wouldn't seat down all the way onto the anvil surface. It turns out that the the hardy hole is not square all the way, but rather is only a circular hole towards the bottom. I'll have to file or grind out the last bit to use longer bottom tools. 

The hardy hole is square for approximately 3 3/8" and circular for approximately the bottom 1 1/2".

Edited by Blue Duck Forge
Added measurements.

Depending on when the Peddinghaus was bought plays into many factors as to the quality of the finished work.  It seems that many were not finished past a certain depth of the hole. 

I think they might have switched to a shorter drill bit and a shorter broach.  This leaves the bottom of the hole unfinished. The #12 I bought a few years ago also have this same problem and you can see where they tried to drill it by flipping it over and chasing the original hole with little success.. 

I will be installing a second Hardie hole..  as I miss this on the left side of the anvil.. 

9 hours ago, JHCC said:

Or taper their stems.

That is certainly a valid approach.

I don't know how often it will be relevant, but I would just as soon fix it once with grinding than fix it each time a hardy stem happens to be too long.

I am mostly concerned about the hypothetical one time that I don't notice that a bottom tool stem is just a little bit too long and I get it stuck.  The thickness of the anvil at the hardy hole gives me confidence to use a sledge liberally . I wouldn't have quite as much ability to apply force from the bottom.