I Forge Iron

On the road again

Crazy Ivan

So as is typical with my nomadic nature, staying in one place for too long has given me that twitchy leg and I am setting out on the road once again. My shop is going into storage, girlfriend and I are temporarily parting ways and housing is going to be occupied by her and my dog and our chinchilla. Two more weeks and I set out on my next adventure. I'll be heading south/ southwest for the winter to find work and see some old friends, then heading to the PNW and or Alaska in the spring to try my hand at commercial fishing. Just have a few more final orders to finish up and its me and my backpack and the American landscape. Posting this here to let any folks know who would be interested in me dropping by to lend a hand (for the established) or teach (for the newbies) at some point in my travels.  I don't keep a concrete schedule on the road so I will be where the wind takes me when it takes me there. Send me a PM if you like and maybe we can we can share some forge time. I'll be starting out in Philly roughly around October 4th and heading south anywhere between the eastern seaboard and the Mississippi river. I'll call this trip "Crazy Ivan's JOURNEYman adventure"  :rolleyes:  LOL.  Also, Even if you are not on my "planned" route and might like a hand at some point, PM me anyways and I may be able to make it work, seasons permitting (continental U.S. and Alaska only). No set schedule for me for the next 6 months or so!  Sad to be leaving my shop, but very excited for the adventures that lie ahead!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Shame I'm buried with work right now. I'd love to meet you and have a chance to forge with you and possibly improve my skills.

Sat Oct 4th Pennsylvania Artist Blacksmiths Assn. is having their October meeting up at Andrew Molinaro's  shop up in Stroudsburg PA. It's a bit north of Philly but not to unreasonable, especially if you are coming down from the north anyways from MA. It's just off I 80 and PA 611 IIRC, maybe an hour and a half north of the city, depending on where you are going to be staying.  I'm planing to attend and Stash here usually shows up as well,  possibly a few others. Public is welcome and there's usually a forge open for people to play at when there's a meeting at his place. we'd love to have you stop in and see us.

PM me and I can shoot you the address and time if you are interested. The meetings at Andrew's are always great ones.

In my 'younger years' I backpacked all over the place, with the right attitude and mindset its amazing just how far and wide you can go! You also have the upside that most folk in the USA are very hospitable, quite different in continental Europe . But then their history with 'travelers' as opposed to backpackers has left a lot to be desired.

Ivan:

I have enjoyed your posts here.  If you are going to be in the SF Bay Area let me know.  We are located in Livermore and you are welcome to stop by and rest up.  

Dave

AKA Lawn Jockey

I should be passing through that area at some point (late winter/early spring?). I'll be sure to drop you a line when I am passing through.

I'm down the road from where the PABA meeting will be tomorrow. See some of you there. I finished up my last commision yesterday and packed up the shop. As promised, here is a picture of the finished strap hinges on the un finished door. (if i can figure out how to post it from an i pod)

Got it. As usual, I went "art neuvoux" with this one. The client asked for the hinges to not "overpower the door and I feel like I accomplished that. It is for a "tiny house" my carpenter friend has a business making. His response to seeing them was "Now no one is gonna even appreciate my carpentry work with those hinges stealing all the attention" haha

post-47777-0-80318000-1412392185_thumb.j

Greetings Ivan,

I wish you well on your travels..  If you get to the Mitten state give me a shout and I will give you a tour and lodging..  Always willing to help out a fellow smith.   KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY PILGRIM..   and for sure  WATCH YOUR TOP KNOT..

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings Ivan,

I wish you well on your travels..  If you get to the Mitten state give me a shout and I will give you a tour and lodging..  Always willing to help out a fellow smith.   KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY PILGRIM..   and for sure  WATCH YOUR TOP KNOT..

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Jim, that is an incredible offer and I will be sure to make it a point to visit your shop on my way back from Alaska. I can't say when that may be but I would bet on some time during the late spring/ late summer (quite a large window, I know).

As for an update on where I am, I just got to Gainesville, FL to see some friends. Something caught my eye in the window of a Bookstore here and it was an ad for someone who is giving classes somewhere in the area. Does anyone know who this may be? I will email the person, but if they are on here it may be easier for me to ask to drop by their shop for a visit with some common ground (this forum). So far this trip has been great and I really enjoyed meeting DSW at the PABA meet in PA. Hoping to meet a few more folks on my journey. Next stop once I leave here is Tampa, Orlando and evenetually New Orleans (anywhere inbetween) for my south eastern leg of this trip.

Good luck on your travels friend.  If you boomerang back to New England look me up.  

Bob Menard has been mounting the grills we made back in the spring, tell folks you meet on the road about NEB!

Judson

Wow, that looks great! I will be sure to look you up on my way back. I'm really excited to see how the grills look against the cor-ten patina. Can't wait to see it in person!

Met a wonderful smith here in Gainesville FL the other day. We hung out at her shop for a few hours and it was definitely a good time. Going back tomorrow to help out some more. I gotta say I learn a lot from seeing other peoples shop set up and how they operate. So far this has been a great trip. Many more things to see, people to meet  and things to learn along my journey. I definitely need to find some paid day labor soon though lol. Hopefully I will have a few pictures to post from tomorrows shop time too.