I Forge Iron

Centaur Forge vs Quick and Dirty Tongs

Gehljoe

Benton where is your shop located?  I looked at your blog last night. Nice work.  I too have a long history in martial arts. We may have grabbed each others gi's at sometime. I seen you have the Blu hammers. I have tossed around buying a Uri  hammer however I think my hammers are good enough for now. Its the hammerer that needs some work.  I just need some pointers to be a danger to metal. 

We're on the north west side of Evansville, bascially right off of the north end of the new University Parkway that runs straight into Highway 66/Diamond Ave. Ah, cheers! Aikido and iaido here. Haven't trained in a few months though. Hoping to start hitting the mat and slinging steel again soon. I'm extremely pleased with Blu's products. I blew the face out of one and they replaced it right away for free. I've fallen in love with their x-1 rounding hammer and the 2.4lb cross peen is my go to hammer. Probably going to order the 1.5 and the 3.5 pounders here soon because... well... why not? haha. 

Be Sure to block off the first weekend in JUNE for the IBA Conference always a lot of fun, maybe not as big or impressive as SOFA's Quadstate round up the last weekend in September, but fun and close.

• 1 month later...

Well upon reading this post and doing a search on Ouick and Dirty tongs I asked Santa for the set of 10 tongs.  Santa told me today that she ordered the set yesterday.  I can't wait until Christmas to get these tongs in action. I have everything set up in my shop to get busy however I only have one pair of tongs that I built and struggle with them  to get anything done. Come on Christmas.

Well the box with the ten Q and D tongs arrived and Santa told me I had to wait until Christmas to get them. I asked if I could at least open the box and take a look. No was all I got.  I'm fired up and can't wait until Christmas.

Spanky when I was in high school my mom and dad aka Santa bought my brother and I each o/u shotguns. I hunted all Christmas break with the shotgun and then reopened it on Christmas day and was so excited.  My wife runs a tight ship.

I love the quick and dirty tongs!!! Have nothing but good things to say about them. I bought the beginner pack of six tongs...$175 shipped to my door. I have tried in the past making my tongs but it's kinda like the saying "it takes money to make money".... Well in my opinion " it takes tongs to make tongs" and these are definitely a tongs tong.......sure why not.

I real marvel at the off center tongs by Grant. He was a class act.
Peter

I had not put two and two together before...I did not realise that Grant Sarver made the off-centre tongs.

I have only been on ifi regularly since he died but have heard and read so much about him since. I did not realise until I read your post that I must have met and chatted to him when I bought a set of off-centre tongs at the Abana conference at either Alfred or Saint Louis I think. They have been very handy and I use them a lot, along with my tongs from Uri Hofi. When I bought them I was either feeling very flush, there was a favourable exchange rate and/or they were very reasonably priced....either way I did not think I could buy the steel for the same money let alone make them for that.

Thank you Peter!

Cheers Grant!

Alan

• 4 weeks later...

I received the large 12 set of Quick & Dirty tongs as a very nice Christmas present!  After playing with some Q&D tongs at Aaron Cergol's shop, I really liked them, and mentioned to the girlfriend that a set would sure make a great Christmas gift.  Well whaddya know, she listened!

I'm quite happy with the Q&D tongs.  Very consistent and well made, and think that anyone would be quite pleased with them.

• 4 weeks later...

Santa apparently misplaced my wish for a set of the D&D tongs, but my IRS refund will make it happen. Who needs Santa. I filed taxes on Friday and ordered the beginners set the same night. Now the waiting begins....((for the tongs, not the tax refund, I'll definitely get the tongs faster!)'