I Forge Iron

Touchmark???

get you a piece of maybe 3/8" or 1/2" coil spring. straighten it out. and useing small chisles and punches kind of carve out with you want. becasue it's steel it takes quite a while and there are probably faster ways. but that how i do it. when your finished let it anneal to reliave stress then heat to non-magnetic and quench in warm oil.

Son Daughtry

I was just at a demo by Randy McDaniels. He wrote the Blacksmith Primer. He took a piece of coil spring straightened it out. He then tells you to make your mark....then you mirror it....then take some chiseld and carve the bugger out....then heat treat it....and he just uses water to quench.

• 2 weeks later...
Some things CAN be made, but when you look at the time it takes to do it... it's cheaper to pay someone else to make it for you

Thats really the point though. Figuring it out yourself and knowing that there is nothing you need someone else to handle for you.

I asked a few ? about this and tried to make one. I will get some pictures of my limited success using a "die plate". My die plate was a piece of angle iron. It didn't turn out well enough to stamp steel but will work for branding say wood accessories.

I asked for quotes for a logo touchmark stamp....Evers quoted $195, CER was $130....that is probably the normal range to buy commercial. Now figure what your time is worth and how long would it take you to make a stamp of quality. If you are selling a lot of product to be stamped, I'd recommend buying the stamp. If you want to put your mark on a few things you do.....then make your own and add that to the personalization of your effort.

Aye... were you at the NEB spring meet Marc? Because Lucian was the presentor there and he mentioned exactly the same thing. I've got a trade mark which I put on some things, but only in conjunction with my name usualy unless it's just going to family members. I'm still looking into getting both an electro etch mark and a stamp made, perhaps as an xmass gift to myself.

Like I said not good enough to punch steel but here is my "Die" and the resulting punch. I used an inferior die material, and I don't actually have a forge. I was out of acetylene and used my Reil burner in open air. I didn't really get above a pale orange.

I punched the design in the angle with a chisel and welded the tube around it to help keep the punch straight. The first one I tried had an upsetting effect and more or less folded over. I did whack the spit out of it though. IW is for Ironwood Workshop. I fancy myself a woodworker and metal fabricator. One day when I am better prepared I will attempt again. In the meantime a small chisel will make the mark. It is rather simple

IronwoodWorkshopTouchmark-th.jpg

IWtrademark-vi-th.jpg

Hi. I made a simple touchmark. It was not easy, and it took me a few hours. First, I fullered and drew down a piece of 3/4" S-7 to a long taper. I cut off the long taper, and ground it into a lettering chisel. It was severely heat checked and cracked, probably from enthusiastic double striking (which it required to draw down). I then heated up the thick tapered, fullered piece to yellow, and carved the design with the newly made chisel. Then, sanded it and cleaned up the face, and tempered at 1000F in a muffle furnace.

It works fairly well, but not as well as the $195 professionally made one. The problem is that the lettering is deep but the accents are shallower. Sometimes, if the tool is cocked, the accents wash out on the high side. I have tried a professionally made tool, and it has similar problems, but not as bad. This tool works a lot better with a striker for just that one blow. I suspect that a treadle hammer, any cobbled design, would work better.

Also, I would like to clean up a couple of the accents. The tool is good and hard, so I have not figured out how to do this yet. I am thinking of two harebrained ideas: tooth off a junk carbide table saw blade, or a poor mans EDM (tub of water, and beefy battery charger). C'mon, it can't be all that bad. My homemade thermocouple welder works just great.

As for the cost, it's not worth making them for sale, but it is worth making one for yourself. It is that kind of pride of ownership thing. My advice for making your own is do all the engraving in annealed steel. Don't do it hot. Then, heat treat.

Aye... were you at the NEB spring meet Marc? Because Lucian was the presentor there and he mentioned exactly the same thing. I've got a trade mark which I put on some things, but only in conjunction with my name usualy unless it's just going to family members. I'm still looking into getting both an electro etch mark and a stamp made, perhaps as an xmass gift to myself.

Hi, Justin. Yep, that was the same meet. Lucian is a pretty smart guy. I learn something new from him every time.

• 3 weeks later...

Has ennyone ever tryed etching it out? I gues a bullet varnich, some carvings, and a strong acid.. hydrochloratic sulperic accid (sorry don't really know what is is in english so i improvise :-) ) and then work it down in layers, heat tread after..?
just an idea, I'm gonna try it one of these days..

Well, speaking of etching, that's what I do for my mark, I dont use a stamp.

for example if you follow this link to this picture

the mark and logo on my blade is electro etched in using a stencil from TUStech.com which they made using my artwork, and a lectroetch machine. I've got the small size logo (1/2" wide) for small blades and work, and a larger logo (1" wide) for larger pieces

4267.attach

• 1 year later...

High I am a newby and stumble onto this site.

Hope I am ok with posting this.

Just FYI I make steel stamps as well as all kinds of indent marking equipment.

The posts are pretty good.

If you need something special thats fine if you just want a hand stamp with standard fonts its much cheaper. Rule of thumb on multiple character hand stamps is $7 to $9 per character. It can be more or less of couse depending on size shapes and custom logos.

My contact info is in my profile if you need it.

Here is a direct link to our stamp page which has lots of good information.
Steel Stamps and Marking Dies - Columbia Marking Tools

Tom

I made a touchmark w/ my last name by stamping a piece of sheet metal with standard letter stamps (took a few tries till I was satisfied). Then took an old chisel, flattened the end and shaped it to be a little larger than the stamped word. Heated the end of the chisel, and drove it into the stamped word, driving the hot steel down into the letters. Then re-heat-treated the chisel, after grinding the rest of the material outside of the word

10769.attach