I Forge Iron

Handle Filler?

SpankySmith

I have some old, antique textile bobbins I've been sitting on for years looking for a use for them - I'm attaching a similar photo I found online.  I want to cut these in half and get two garden tool handles out of each one.  Problem is, they're hollow!   Any suggestions for what I could use as filler for them that would later allow me to insert the shaft of a forged garden tool?   It would have to be some type of filler that is solid enough to later allow drilling for a handle... something that won't crack or pull away from the wood... I'm kinda' at a loss?   I REALLY want to use mine for garden tool handles, they have a beautiful patina.   They are slightly tapered, so I don't think I could just insert a round dowel in them.   Any suggestions would be appreciated.   

post-53103-0-40930600-1403788382_thumb.j

I second Thomas on the bondo. Contained in the hollow, that would be really tough stuff. I have used it as *glue* to fix a garden rake because I was out of JB. Used a couple years until the handle finally broke (not in the glued joint but from accidentally stepping on instead of over it. :rolleyes: )

Bondo was what we used when I worked in a custom wood shop.  It's major downcheck is the colour but in your use that will be hidden!  (also the smell---please follow safety instructions)  It tends to be a lot cheaper than "specialty" stuff and we have a good runway on how to work it and how it lasts.   In knifemaking we bedded in epoxy but they were high end items and buying and discarding epoxy per blade was a minor cost.

Bondo shrinks. Thickened West System epoxy would be the best. No throwing away the remainders, a kit comes with a set of pumps to pre-measure, and has a (seemingly) infinite shelf life. 

Not cheap, like Bondo, but in the category of "you get what you pay for". Has lots of other uses in the blacksmith shop and home too. 

I'm also a big fan of West Epoxy.  They also have various fillers that you mix in with the epoxy that fill and give more strength.  They used to mail out a printed manual but I am sure it is available on line.  I think West epoxy and high density filler might do the trick.  Check Jamestown Distributors and West Marine for the best pricing.