I Forge Iron

What are "Proper Tools"? - Video shows using what's at hand

That's a great demonstration of how folks in the west have forgotten how to see the possibilities in things all around them.  The one guy was hammering with nothing but a thick rod of iron held by one end...  and he was getting the job done just as well as someone with a Home Depot down the street.

Great stuff.

But, but, but......my HOA won't let me put up a mud/thatch hut, and, and, we don't have the right kind of rocks here, and, and....  (sniffle, whine)

But worst of all, where in 'Murica could you find a willing striker with 2% body fat? (I already have the other 98%.) :wacko:

Unquestionably interesting. The part I liked was the 3 different levels of tech represented in the video. The last being most recognizable to western eyes, hand crank blower, London pattern anvil, hammers with handles, forging standing up. All three were making the same agricultural implements. Some of those smiths could have been working with some of this higher technology but chose to do it a harder way. Hmmm, I wonder why.

In the video side bar there was a French film showcasing a modern high tech steel plant featuring smelting from raw and scrap and forging with a 100 tonish hyd. press.

I see a lot of people commenting on the internet lately about blacksmiths using power tools like it is a sin. I still think there are only few ways to forge an 80,000 lb. billet. A guy with a rock is not one of them.

Bob---the "high tech" stuff may not be commonly available or be too expensive for many of them. It may not be a "choice" for them---you seen many blacksmiths in America driving million dollar sports cars---why not they are out there?  Or a bit more appropo:---why doesn't every smith in America use an induction forge?

This is gonna' be stuck in my head every time I reach for a different hammer because it feels more "comfortable" than the one I was using.   None of them are rocks!   

Also interesting to see they start the strikers out YOUNG with their training.   I'm not sure in the U.S. anyone would let a young kid whale on metal with a rock!

well I sure did; don't know if it was a "let" as I don't know if my parents were aware of it.  I do know that they were aware of my using my boy scout knife to carve swords out of palm frond ribs...  

Tool using was considered part of growing up and *encouraged* by my parents who started giving me tools for birthdays and christmas while I was in high school---probably to make sure my Father's tools didn't disappear when I started off to College...I did the same for my Daughters; who still remember the year they both got 3/8" VSR drills for Christmas from "Daddy".  (They are protesting me giving the grandkids tools until after they are in school though...)

Hey, I was pulling wire at 5, helping renovate an old house, but I think dad would have frowned at me hoisting a big rock to strike pretty much anything.

I LOVE that you gifted daughters with power tools!!!! I know too many women who look at me cross eyed if I say "Hand me a Phillips head," they would be lost if I asked them to retrieve my reciprocating saw or finish nailer. I'm all for training girls to use power tools and guys how to bake. THEN you hand them both blacksmithing tools! :)

One thing I read when raising kids was that we tend to praise boys for their accomplishments and girls for their looks and so we slant their ideas about them and the world.  I decided to buck that trend and so praised my daughters for their accomplishments; as a Father they already knew I considered them beautiful!  I also took them for nature walks, playing in the creek and climbing trees.  (Now when a big ugly bug shows up in the one's house she gets the kids together to look at it and figure out what it is before it gets moved outside.  She likes snakes too.  The other one is in Vet School...)

I also married a woman who could create and hold to a budget, balance a checkbook,  change a tire, check the car's oil and cook on a woodstove---including managing the fire---she owned a froe before we even met!

Just watched this one of some smiths in Nepal making Khukuri knives for the Gurkha's:

There are a few wide angle shots showing the shop ... Seems quite extensive (quite a few work stations). What I found interesting, is that they all appear to be using sledge hammer heads as their anvils - and their strikers are swinging hammers as large as those 'anvils'. Hope their aim is good, especially with everyone wearing their safety sandals ;-)

It could just be omitted in the filming, but I didn't see any sign of heat treating. And they seemed to do quite a bit of cold hammering too. Nevertheless, they're producing some beautiful knives. As these are being used by police & military as part of their issued kit, I'd assume their quality is well proven.

Neat videos. Very eye-opening.

Thanks for the link, Neil. Amazing stuff. The guy making the sheath - bare feet and razor sharp chisels! And not a pair of safety glasses in sight anywhere.
We have acquired a nice collection of kukri - all with sheaths and the smaller knives attached. In writing the labels for them, I have wondered what the small nick in the blade near the handle is for. Research reveals a number of theories - from representing a sacred cow's udder, to allowing the blood to drip off the blade.
No wonder a fearless Gurkha wielding one of these things was considered a formidable opponent.