I Forge Iron

Best way to travel with forge and anvil?

My best guess for the motorcycle is that it is a mid '30s B.S.A. J11 v-twin. This is based on the clutch cover shape, and also the knee-pad shape. Any other takers?

That stumpy anvil, however is a mystery.  Shouldn't be much of a likelihood of the sidecar wheel coming up unexpectedly with all that ballast.

Well not the best way, but whats cool about this is this is the first real load I had on my GMC since purchasing it and getting it on the road.  Prior to moving we pushed the anvils as close to the front the bed as possible.

I would think he would have forged a prop to go under the cart where the anvil sits.  Can imagine hed be getting much work done per hammer blow with that cart flopping around under the anvil like that. 

I have a 8' trailer envisioned in the near future.  However this little gem in the second pic is the mac daddy of blacksmith operations.

post-15781-0-49325600-1401273718_thumb.j

post-15781-0-48100900-1401273732_thumb.j

post-15781-0-34569300-1401274037_thumb.j

I used to do that as it helped shift weight forward; but my wife gave me what for fearing for the results of rolling the truck.  Can you say "ball mill"?  Now if I could only mount a bracket to the front bumper that I would trust...

If it's hitting the truck's horn *you* are in deep kimchee!

Ayup, that's why I travel with the heavy stuff against the cab. I don't want to find out personally, who or what's in anything or body's kimchee!

Frosty The Lucky.

When I was drilling I usually drove the 20' van. I'd installed a headache wall against the front of the box, 4"x12" on edge bolted to the frame across the box and stacked waist high. We loaded the casing on the deck against the headache wall and packed the drill rod in the casing. Then the samplers, sample boxes, misc tools and gear to the back of the box. Camping gear went on top. Hitting a ditch at speed always worried me and was the reason for the overkill headache wall.

During the pipeline years too many trucks hauling drill steel hit ditches on the haul road. Unless the driver could jackknife the rig before it hit the ditch to get out of the line of fire it was almost always a sure fatality. The steel would clean the tractor off frame up and not leave much but stains. One proposal was to mount a magnet to a boom truck to clean up the wreckage, sometimes even the frame and engines were mulched.

Unless it's light weight, dirt or similar bulk cargo, I load it from the cab back.

Frosty The Lucky.