I Forge Iron

Forging old stainless butter knives

Question for you guys, I make keychains from old ornate ss butter knives. I cut the handle drill a hole polish it up and throw a key ring on it. I got the idea when I got my 51 dodge I ordered a knife from eBay that was made in 51 so it would match the year of my car. I also make knives from 01tool steel. So I was thinking can I hammer out the rest of the handle into a small blade? That way I could put a handle on the old butter end and make little wood carving blades. Can it be done? I would rather use this steel rather then pitch it.

Welcome aboard BigBeerds glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

I like the key chains and I'll bet they're a perfect worry stone weight and feel.

The carving knife and trade suggest a possible profitable pursuit. I don't need a job really but I don't mind letting a hobby pay it's own way. <wink>

Frosty The Lucky.

No I try to buy the solid knives. They kinda are a multi purpose keychain. The look cool and there solid so it can be used for defensive purpose. Also if you get stuck in a car you can use or to brake out the window.

I like the butter knife keychains, are they hollow at the top (where the key ring is), or do you close and/or seal them somehow?

No I try to buy the solid knives. They kinda are a multi purpose keychain. The look cool and there solid so it can be used for defensive purpose. Also if you get stuck in a car you can use or to brake out the window.

Another plus for the product. I LIKE multi taskers and being able to escape or get someone out of a car in a hurry can be a matter of life and death.

My only concern and unfortunately it's a serious one is the weight. Modern ignition locks are made from plastic and aren't able to take much weight, even a few keys can damage them to the point they don't work. One of GM's recalls is about people hanging too much weight their on the car key causing the air bag sensors to fail OR cause spontaneous engine starts. The engine starting on it's own may be another recent auto recall but as I recall it's being blamed on too much weight on the ignition key too.

It kills me to have to point this out about such an elegant product but there is an issue. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

I use the heck out of stainless spoons, forks and knives that I usually get at garage sales for pretty darn cheap.

Pay around a buck or two for maybe 20-30 in a bunch.

Usually cut the spoons at the midway point on the handle - use the spoon part for leaves and the handle for rings, fobs and such.

The blades of the butter knives - as Thomas Powers suggested - make good wings for the bugs, monsters and dragons I make for the Grandkids and their friends...;)

Dean

Usually cut the spoons at the midway point on the handle - use the spoon part for leaves and the handle for rings, fobs and such.

The blades of the butter knives - as Thomas Powers suggested - make good wings for the bugs, monsters and dragons I make for the Grandkids and their friends... ;)

Dean

Dean,

Pictures please!!!

I was in a little neighborhood shop yesterday that serves food on one side and has jewelry on the other... someone had taken these same ends of spoons/forks as used here for key fobs, heated them up enough to simply bend them around to form a woman's ring - and was selling 'em for $30 each.   Geeze... I've got to get myself to a garage sale and find some forks!!!

My grandfather used to do those at fleamarkets---never had to heat them though.  Used a wooden or nylon hammer as I recall.  Then used to flatten out the spoon bowls and make wind chimes from them and the fork remnants 

But I have FIRE!  I want to heat things!!!   LOL!

"if your only tool is a match---all problems look flammable!"

Amen brother. Few problems in life can't be solved with a big enough fire. That library in Alexandria charging too much in late fees?

Frosty The Lucky.