I Forge Iron

Chef Knife

Loneforge

Not sure what you mean Rockstar? I appleseed ground the right side so food falls away from the blade instead if sticking....The flat side is ground with a primary bevel....the appleseed side is ground right to the edge. Does this answer your question?

Thanks, Darren

I've seen some Japanese cutlery where they have a chisel grind for exactly the same reason you mentioned.  The two big differences being that they don't have a bevel on one face, and they have a flat grind on the other. Boning knives are sometimes ground the same way.

I've never seen a knife that had a bevel grind on one side and a convex grind on the other. For that matter, I don't think I've ever seen a knife with a convex grind on one side and a flat face on the other either.

It's an interesting proposition - I'd love to try side by side comparisons to see how they'd work.

The transition about a third of the way down the blade seems awfully harsh to me and will most likely create an uneven cutting flow. Also, the bolster doesn't seem to quite equal the space where the tang enters the handle (pic 2). Maybe that's just in the photo angle. Most of the chefs who have purchased my knives want a rounded spine and choil to make a pinch grip easier.

John

John I see what yer saying about the blade transition and thanks for the tip. The bolster does protrude slightly above and below the shoulders of the tang, it is also tapered towards the blade so it has no harsh edges. Are you saying it should flow right in the blade? 

I'm just relating what the feedback is that I'm getting from those chefs who are better than me at scrambling eggs. Most want a rounded choil and rounded spine to make it easier to work with for long hrs chopping.

At the Mt Hood Western States Conf last Aug, MS Bill Burke spent about 1/2 hr with me looking at my blades and making suggestions as to how to improve them. First, and foremost, was to make them thinner and work on the distal taper (flat grind). Second, is to make the transition from the tip to the heel in increments of thirds with the last third being flat for clean cut chopping. In other words, a smooth flow to the flat third. Think cutting green onions etc.

That's about all I can suggest as was related to me by someone who makes excellent blades.

John

As an addendum, I've been looking up the thicknesses of Japanese blades at the spine/heel and have been trying to emulate some of those figures in my blades where possible. My blades have been much heavier overall and I can see that I need to make them thinner.

MS Bob Kramer suggested that hunting blades should be closer to kitchen blades in thickness as they are simply used to eviscerate animals, and are not used as camping knives. I agree with this premise.

John

Thanks John, much appreciated. Your kitchen knives are well done and I will keep these things in mind as I make the next one. It's easy to make a knife.....not so easy to make good ones. Any and all tips or critiques I get only get me further in my journey to "Almost Excellent". Up until now I didn't know what an Eviscerate was.....Thanks again John.

Darren.

52100 is hard forging unless you keep it hot......And I like forging with anything so I'm not sure how to answer that one. :) As far as tips are concerned take a close look at the knife I forged and finished and then read the posts from John at Gearhart Iron works. If I had 5/8 bar stock I would have forged an integral.