I Forge Iron

Newbie Female - Emerson vs Carroll vs TFS

The thing with vulcans is a lot of people say they are bad and have never used one. They have just heard, but want to sound like they know. $100 for one especially if it has good edges is well worth it. You can always move up in quality, but you have to start some wear.
I have had a few vulcans and they have all worked for me. I do a lot of custom and modern metal work and still find my self going back to my first vulcan for specific task. The only thing I Had to really work with is the later volcanos had a more boxy horn. But you can always modify that or make a hardy or vise bick to use. I really learned my forging temps on that anvil to because it does have a little softer face. But I would still buy vulcan in good shape any day for $100 over digging through the scrap yard for a piece of steel that you may or may not know what it is, and I would use a vulcan over a RR track or RR track anvil any day.

Just my piece.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hairballz,

From a newbie just into blacksmithing for a little less than a year, if I were in your position and have the enthusiasm to get right into blacksmithing that you have, I would go ahead and get the Vulcan.

You will be able to do as much with the limited skills you have now and will be learning more over the short term.  You don't need a high quality anvil to start learning.  Get something you can work with NOW.  When you find the anvil you really want at a price you can afford, get it.  Then you can sell the Vulcan, maybe to a new newbie to get them started and recoup your first investment.

Good luck anvil hunting!!!

Great advice from all, and I really can't tell you how much I appreciate all the input.  Simply love this forum already and look forward to many years of enjoying blacksmithing.  I'll let ya'll know how my anvil hunt proceeds, hoping my guy with the Vulcan and 2 others gets back in town so I can ride up to God's Country this weekend and come back with one of 'em!

Or maybe TWO of em?!  LOL, I got it bad guys....

• 2 weeks later...

I'm travelling up north (okay, just to Tennessee) this weekend to look at the three anvils.  I can't deny it - I'm pretty excited!   Any last minute words of wisdom as I go to inspect the three options?   One's a Peter Wright, one's a Mouse Hole, one's a Vulcan.    Any tips for a totally green, novice Anvil Shopper?

I'd lean towards the Peter Wright, then the mousehole, then the vulcan in that order. Matter of fact I probably wouldn't even be interested in the vulcan as I just never liked them.

The horseshoers anvils there's nothing wrong with for general smithing except they're usually a little lighter than you'd like for a shop anvil. Nonetheless they work just as good. As far as they go keep away from anything with turning cams, heel hooking holes, or any other such gimmicks intended to cater to the least common denominator. Most contemporary shoeing anvils are unsatisfactory for this reason so I'd look for something a little older. They can often be found on ebay or craigs list or other such places.

If free of such things I'd go with the Emerson. Cliff Carroll and TFS I'd pass on.

Hope you go home with something good :)

George

It does seem to work that way; you search for a long time to find *1* anvil and then the next shows up---and then you turn your back and the place is full of them!

And Matto; I dislike Vulcans and I have owned them and have used them.  The only one I currently own has the horn broken off showing MASSIVE porosity in the casting---it should have never left the factory but have been tossed back in the cupola.  A friend gave it to me when I found a cast steel swedish anvil to replace it for her Fine Arts Metals classes. She had a student break off the horn setting rivets...The face was worn through in the forward half showing how thin it was too.  It is now a proud member of my "Wall of Shame" collection of extremely abused anvils, though pride of place goes to the PW? that is missing the entire top half (hence the ?---but Postman thought it was a PW remnant).  OTOH I consider Vulcans "real" anvils and buy and pass them on to new smiths to use while waiting for a better one.  They are especially good for folks who need to be discrete in their forging----not as good as a Fisher; but also a quiet anvil.

What I object to is folks wanting to sell them for top of the line prices when they are bottom of the line anvils.

As far as the three mentioned:  The PW and the Mousehole are pretty much interchangable with size and condition and price playing the deciding factors.  Some people dislike the "squat" look of the Mousehole, some prefer it as it increases the "sweet spot".  If you plan to be doing heavy work the Mousehole over the PW, if you plan to do light ornamental work perhaps the PW over the Mousehole as the horn and heel are usually longer.

Both will be weight stamped in CWT system.  The vulcan will usually have a raised number ontop of the foot that is the weight divided by 10

If you put a Peter Wright next to a Mousehole, will they procreate?   Produce a little baby anvil that grows up to be a Hay Budden or ???    Just a thought!   :D

Hmmm, not sure. If I remember correctly I believe Peter Wright was an ex employee of Mousehole who went off and formed his own company. By that you might think of them as kinda semi-related.

Hay-Budden was an American company unrelated to the other British firms.

George

If you put a Peter Wright next to a Mousehole, will they procreate?   Produce a little baby anvil that grows up to be a Hay Budden or ???    Just a thought!   :D

Hmmm, not sure. If I remember correctly I believe Peter Wright was an ex employee of Mousehole who went off and formed his own company. By that you might think of them as kinda semi-related.

Hay-Budden was an American company unrelated to the other British firms.

George

I know the Vulcan is just 90 pounds which concerns me, the Wright was quoted at 156 pounds and I don't know the weight on the Mouse.   Thanks all for the advice, I will stick ball bearing in jeans pocket and head for the Tennessee Hills tomorrow to, hopefully, come back with my first true anvil love.  

Your picture is great. Any one would be proud to work in that shop. I am in the same boat as you. This anvil hunting is a little like dating when I was younger. Little bit nervous and you have to work at a it a little. Good luck with your search.