I Forge Iron

Stolen knife alert

thingmaker3

I have read of some cases where the thieves were using the bag X-rays to locate high dollar items---an inside job.

Most are just thefts of opportunity grabbing a likely looking bag and leaving.

I knew of one maker that used to ship his blades to shows in an old battered guitar case held together with stickers and duct tape nothing to indicate anything of value in it.

Most are just thefts of opportunity grabbing a likely looking bag and leaving.

Yeah if it's in something like a Pelican case or one of the alum "gun" cases, it sort of screams valuable. They are lockable and rugged, but unfortunately stand out as a piece of luggage that may contain electronics, camera gear or other high value targets.

Heck, a high dollar aluminum or Pelican case is worth stealing empty. The airport has video of baggage claim don't they? There's no question that's grand theft, the police should be interested enough to take a look at least.

It's unlikely any will show here but I'll put the word out.

I really REALLY . . . dislike thieves.

Frosty The Lucky.

My God...that's a huge number of knives. It would have to far exceed $100K in losses.

I just counted and there are 149 knives listed. If we use $1000 as an average (and I'm certain some are worth far more than that), that's $150K in losses - at minimum. I hope they are recovered by the rightful owner.

remember when you could carry such things on planes with you?   My first international trip I carried swords back as "carry on"

Ohio used to have a "concealed weapons law" proposed every session and I'd get all excited until I read it and found out it wasn't "Concealed Weapons" it was only "concealed pistols"; so you could get a permit to carry your saturday night special concealed but if you put your $5000 high art Bowie in your briefcase because it was raining you were committing a felony!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah if it's in something like a Pelican case or one of the alum "gun" cases, it sort of screams valuable. They are lockable and rugged, but unfortunately stand out as a piece of luggage that may contain electronics, camera gear or other high value targets.

Heck, a high dollar aluminum or Pelican case is worth stealing empty. The airport has video of baggage claim don't they? There's no question that's grand theft, the police should be interested enough to take a look at least.

Pretty much nailed it. Everything was in a Pelican case.

Guy sounds like he was obviously a pro. Probably didn't count on the fact what he stole would be enough to warrant an intensive search for him. He'd most likely pulled this stunt numerous times since they ID'd him right away from the way it sounds.