I Forge Iron

Well how did I do with this stuff?

I found a guy on craigslist of was willing to work with me a on some things. It cost me 240 and 30 for gas. How did I do?

Champion blower on stand, spins free blows good, but turning the handle takes work.

Forge pan on stand. Not sure what kind of forge it is. I may post more pics and questions in the solid fuel forge section. The duck foot looks home made.

2 post vises, both are missing springs. I believe the one on the left is 18th century. I will follow up in the vise thread.

100 pounds of coal

old quench bucket and soup can water sprinkle can.

He threw in a dozen RR spikes too. Didn't need them but it was nice of the guy.

All came off an old farm here in Texas

post-48222-0-51542400-1394668217_thumb.j

post-48222-0-69622500-1394668258_thumb.j

post-48222-0-22914000-1394668305_thumb.j

post-48222-0-11166800-1394668358_thumb.j

post-48222-0-67947900-1394668413_thumb.j

Were you sort of toying with a gun while "negotiating"? (grin)

Great score!

No, lol even though I don't leave home without one. I think the guy had the stuff listed for so long, plus I was the only one willing to drive to BFE to pick the stuff up. He also mentioned something about a wife, too much junk, no room in the drive way. I probably should have been shaking her hand too.

You did right well! These are all tools you will use and treasure in short order. I have two vices near the forge and anvil. I ofter find myself using one tool in the anvil and another [or two] in the vices rather that switching tools all around while working.

Now make some stuff and post pics!

Dave

Champion blower on stand, spins free blows good, but turning the handle takes work.

I'm pretty jealous of that blower stand actually, I have a champion blower like yours (except you scored the stand that goes with it.) Mine was extremely hard to turn, however I found that the shaft the fan blades are on, follow the shaft to the gear end and there's a nut and bolt. The way I understand it is you can set how much resistance is applied to the shaft. The more resistance the harder she is to turn.

Stove,
That's a very nice find. I have a few of those blowers too, but I have never seen one with such an elegant base. Most of mine are three-legged affairs that are a pain to move round. Most leg vices you find seem to have parted company with their springs - I'm sure you will adapt something to do the job. Interesting post - thanks.

does the vise on the left have a mortise for a tenoned mounting bracket? 

Is the screw box built up out of separate pieces forge brazed together?

I don't see a mounting bracket. the pin that holds the lower part of the vice together is slotted with a wedge instead of a bolt. the vice is forge welded together. you can see the welds.

post-48222-0-59197900-1394721251_thumb.j

post-48222-0-15082300-1394721288_thumb.j

post-48222-0-79444800-1394721322_thumb.j

It wasn't until the 1900's that all post vises were not forge welded; so forge welding is not indicative of greater than normal age.

Early vises had a sq mortise hole on the back leg under the screw box eye where the mounting bracket tenon went through, the spring had a sq hole in it too that would go over the tenon.

Early screwboxes were built up out of piece parts forge brazed together.

So far I don't see anything about it that looks earlier than the last half of the 19th century; though Frank Turley is the expert.

The wedged pivot bolt was an earier version but these can be retrofitted to more recent vises---I've made one that way myself!

I hope its as simple as that. though I have been looking at stuff online for repair info. I soaked all the outside nuts, bolts and screws with pb blaster. going to take another look in the morning

That's what I would try first is that 'resistance' bolt. It's the easiest thing to check and work on with out tearing it down to the gear end. Grant it tearing it down to the gear end is real straight forward, I'd still check that bolt first.

That poor vise.  I can't believe someone cut most of the threads off the screw!  Must have been damaged by something, and now you can barely open the vise before the nut falls off!!

Still, very neat to be able to see the grain of the wrought and the forge welds.

I tried the resistance nut, it bound up when I took it out a couple threads. I think the bearings/bushings are worn. It may just take a good cleaning. still it blows good and the exercise is not bad for me.

Yes too bad the vise is not in great shape, but I didn't want to leave it behind. Maybe I will come across a replacement screw. Or Ill clamp a flat piece of steel on it and use it for a beer table in the shop :P