I Forge Iron

Trenton

100lb Trenton circa 1916 s/n A141576.  My first anvil and I got a little carried away with the cleaning. Refinished the horn and table as they were very torn up with chisel marks.

post-24357-0-44246100-1393792767_thumb.jpost-24357-0-88078600-1393792804_thumb.j 

Rings fairly loud, has 70% to 80% rebound depending where on the face you test it. The edges are mildly chipped up but there are good areas to use. Moves metal well for its size and stand.

post-24357-0-08495900-1393792822_thumb.j

I use the horn on this one quite a bit and the thinner heel can be very handy. A good size for portability.  I use a 2 part polysulfide aircraft fuel tank sealant (free stuff that has passed its expiration date for use in aircraft) to mount it down to the stand. when it cures its tough stuff.

Story goes that it was from the Sutton Coal mine area but it seems that most of the old smithing equipment in the Mat-Su valley has that story!

The first anvil I used was about a 150 pound Trenton. It was on loan until the fellow needed it back.  

The anvil was dead as a fish. No buzz, little rebound, no ring, but it was an anvil and I could use it so I did. Put it on a 24 inch diameter piece of oak log, anchored it down with 1/2 inch round bar steeples over the feet.

When the fellow died the heirs first call to me was to DEMAND the anvil to be returned. I loaded it up and put it their front yard the next day. At the auction it went for over $600 because of the clean face and slag on the stump. 

Trentons are suppose to be good anvils and I am sure this one had a problem. I did a lot of work on that anvil and learned l lot from it. 

My next anvil launched the hammer off the face of the anvil so fast you had to adjust your stance not to get hit in the head. Very good rebound, and a ring that could be heard by the neighbors. It was a world of difference. But one bad anvil should not spoil the whole bunch. I would still like to work on a good Trenton, just for the experience.

Glenn: when you come up for a visit we'll get together and have a Trenton in. I have a 206lb. Trenton in the shop and Peters Creek is only about 35 miles from here. We'll go a visitin.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 months later...

Where was it broken?  Trentons were welded at the waist at the factory and the latter production years they used a large arc welder to do it!  So an arc weld at the waist may be factory.

I know that a lot of the old time tilt and steam hammer welded up anvils are often a bit off too which is why I keep pounding on the "if you absolutely must mill the face be sure to flip it over and true the bottom to the face *FIRST*!"  As I have seen two anvils where they milled *through* the steel face and into the wrought iron truing the face to the base.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Here's my Trenton. Picked it up at a state wide rummage sale for $2.25 a pound. The edges are rough and has a four or five small gouges on the face. Rings like a bell and with the ball bearing test I dont have to lower my hand to catch the ball.

unnamed[2].jpg

unnamed[2] (2).jpg

Is that the stand for it or a big saw makers anvil? Use it well and forge on!

I didn't know what it was till today after posting a pic in the Soderfors thread. A saw makers anvil.

Is there any chance the upper half of the Trenton is forged or cast? There is no discernable junction where a steel laminate was attached. The chipping along the edges apears to be cast and not like a flake of hard steel chipping off. The anvil will ring by gently thumping it with your finger.

Thanks

This is my first and only anvil. I bought it for around $300. It comes out to be about $1.50 per pound which I feel is a good price. It's my pride and joy but I'm not really sure how well the performance of it is. It sounds like a good ring and has what I'd call a decent rebound. For what I do, it's just great. In on of the pictures you can see a groove in the horn that I'm guessing was made that way cause it doesn't look to be ground out of it. It makes it kinda unique to me and also I haven't ever seen another like it. Someone told me to just fill it in with weld and grind to pretty but I like just how it is haha. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

You like the character lines on that hard working old lady do you? I like you already, she's a beauty and doesn't need anything but put back to work.

If I haven't welcomed you aboard already I do so now and glad to have you.

Frosty The Lucky.