I Forge Iron

My homemade diy anvil

Greetings Gentleman

This is the way I made my homemade/diy cheapo anvil. All materials come from the scrap yard. The idea was, "if I need some type of support to keep the anvil upright, why not attach some sort of horn to the support?" I hope the hardy hole area is sturdy enough to be used for the forthcoming years. The hardy hole plate and the tip of the horn were hardened and tempered. Never seen material moving so fast under the hammer as with this anvil.

I am terrible sorry for the broken English and the lousy video editing skills :unsure:

Do you gentleman think I have enough mass under the hammer? :D

That's a darned nice anvil, excellent rebound and great depth under the anvil, it's basically ALL sweet spot. You and your friends sure put a lot of work into the horn and it looks darned nice. About the only suggestion I have is maybe putting a radius on the edge so you can shoulder work without making cold shuts. The whole edge doesn't need a radius but some sure does.

Well done. . . whatever your name is. All round fine job, that baby will serve you and yours for generations.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 years later...
8 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Love your anvil build! How has it held up?  

So far so good, but I haven't been forging much. I have lots of work for the last year and only forge a couple of hours a month. The anvil's rebound is fantastic, the horn is not broken, so...

6 hours ago, Marc1 said:

From the title "bigorna" and your accent I would have sworn this was in Portugal.

You're right. I am Portuguese (born and educated in Portugal) but my wife is not. We live in her place

The hardy hole works ok so far but I did not make heavy work on it. For example, do not forge hardy tools or use sledge hammers on it because I am afraid of damaging the "C" channel. I simply forge or fabricate the tool I need and weld the shaft to insert into the hardy hole. Light work with a "single hand" hammer is ok.  The horn, on the contrary, is very sturdy in this configuration because it is supported in two places.