I Forge Iron

Storms

Wayne

my workshop floor is clay (dug into the hillside to build it) and I have had standing water and mud in there for the last 3 months. Earlier this week the wind was so nasty that the smoke from the starter fire was just being pushed back into the room before the forge could get enough heat to drive it up the chimney! Also, my workshop is in the middle of some woods, so I've had trees dropping all around as well as wading 200yds through mud each day to get there :(

All in all, this 'winter' has been more than a bit of a problem!

Today is the first above freezing, sunny day in the past few weeks.  Our last three snow storms in a row are finally melting.  Now we have slush and puddles.  At least the snow is finally melting off the roofs.   The ground is still frozen, so the melt water has nowhere to go.  It will be a mess for a while.  And more snow is predicted for tomorrow.

In Georgia maybe 100 miles from the cost line. Thick ice storms this week. Not all that cold but the ice took down hundreads of pine trees on my land. I am 10 miles from town and have been without city power for a week. I am happy my grandfather has a old little generator. Probably has not been run in 10 years. I poured some gas in and it cranked right up! Had to remagnatize the coils.

Just enough power to run internet refrigerators and a light or two. Hooked it up to the well pump for a few hours today and had a shower.

Poor shop is dormit

Ha!  They said it was going to snow and I jumped for joy.  I love snow, especially here in the south where it might snow 4" - but that will be gone in a day or two.

But I wasn't ready for the earthquake.  It wasn't bad as earthquakes go, but it was still an eye-opener.  4.2, I think they said.  No damage or anything, just a fun Valentine's Day rumble to remind you just how small you are in the grand scheme of things.

• 2 weeks later...