I Forge Iron

Dogs name

Hi gang, I just got a new boxer dog puppy and am trying to come up with a good name linked to blacksmithing. So far I've tried clinker, hammer, anvil dummy, goofy, clumsy ( these last three refer to epithets used by instructors refering to my own skills ( the wife won't let me call the dog any of these three)).. you name it, nothing seems to be working. Anybody got a good idea, ideally something ending with a ie or a y like charlie or silly

I have had a lot of dogs and I always considered How distinctive a name sounded when used It always seemed better if there was a K in the name. Clinker is great take it to your hobby and if you shorten it when you need the dogs attention to clink it will not sound like another word and will be clear to the pup...

How about Sparky?

Treadle, if he's always underfoot.

Upset, if he won't behave.

Slack, if he sleeps a lot.

Scale, if he's flakey

Heel? . . No, too confusing.

Horn . . . Dog?

Blast when he gets older. No, that stinks.

Okay, okay, I'll be quiet now.

Frosty

that sure was fun, some good laughs, and lots of great names, I think I'll make a list for future reference. The family tested several, "Sparky sit", "Striker don't chew that", "Down Hardy" "here Rivet", "Good boy Festus", but the winner turned out to be Clinker which seemed to work well in various situations: "Clinker drop that shoe", "Clinker NO" , "bad Clinker", "Clinker let's go for a ride", plus a few of the inevitable Clinker variations also work, such as: "look at the Clinker" , "Clinkster, Clinkster", even works as "Good Clinker" (which may actually be a first ).. So Clinker it is... thanks everyone for helping out..
Anybody know the origin of the word clinker?

It's a descriptive name, clinker is glassy slag and makes a clinking sound when dropped, poked, hit, etc.

So, why aren't hammers called bangers? And why do English bangers go pfft?

Yeah, I know I live in a culture where we drive on the parkway and park in the driveway, put cargo on ships and ship things on trains, so I shouldn't be surprised. I'm not, I'm just curious. Really.

Frosty

The pets I've had got their names from things they did or just they way they appeared. I never named one any specific name because I thought it sonded good like the run of the mill common stuff such as "spike" or "killer".
I had a cat with a disproportionately huge head, butt and feet so I called him "Lumpy". The dalmation was called "Zits" and a pit I called "Dude" because he just fit in with me and all my slob friends and acted just like the rest of us.
Sooner or later your pup will do something stupid or amazing or have some particular trait and wind up pretty much naming himself. Dan:)