I Forge Iron

What Can I Do With This

I have Had this old splitting maul for longer than I can remember. I was thinking about making a straight peen out of it. Not sure if it will balance though. I am just starting out my journey into blacksmithing so this would be one of 3 hammers dedicated to that endeavor so far.

So looking for ideas. convert it from a wood tool to a steel tool. Or leave it be?

post-48222-0-67611400-1389746500_thumb.j

post-48222-0-75960200-1389746530_thumb.j

I have one just like it, except mine says "Cut Devil" on it.  It's a hot cutting chisel.  A spike hammer usually has a long square or round nose on it.  I would put a handle on it and keep it in the rack to hot cut stuff.

Geoff

What do you think the age is on it? Just wondering when they stopped cutting track by hand.

Wouldn't be much work to cut and shape into a straight-peen hammer, but not really worth the effort when you can get a hammer off ebay for dirt cheap already.  I've found r/r tools to be rather large and unwieldy in most circumstances.  They were designed for working on big, heavy stuff that you just don't see in a general smithy.  I have a cutter like that and you really have to wail on it with a heavy hammer to transfer the energy of the blow all the way down to the cutting edge.  Looking at most cutters sold on the internet shops, they aren't designed half as stoutly as the r/r type cutters.

Stove stoker,

Not a splitting mall. However, with some easy forging you can make it any number of HD set tools. It's good steel, anneal it and work it to your liking. Heat treat the working end. It will be plenty rugged and will last forever.

I have similar tools made into handled curved cutters for flat stock and slitters. They will take a beating. They are well worth the effort to repurpose.

Peter

I have found it is often the same amount of work to modify a existing hammer as to just punch an handle hole in in a piece of properly sized steel.   Its counter intuitive but when you get into tiring to find the right sized handle grinding cutting reheat treating it can be a time consuming process and your still tiring to work somewhat unknown steel and a shape that may be less than ideal.  It may seem daunting but I have seen students with no experience jump in and forge a hammer with help from an instructor there first time out.  There is plenty of good information here and elsewhere on forging hammers. You can do it Man!!! 

Yes I bought one years ago and turned it into a top cut until the wire handle broke. Am thinking about reshaping the back end beyond the handle hole to fit my hardie hole for an anvil tool and leaving the handle hole as is. Since it is really high grade steel it might be difficult to forge down to one inch square, only time will tell.  But yes if you put a sacrificial piece of plate on your anvil and re-handle the rail cutter It will make a good top cut tool. They were made to notch rail for cutting. Very good steel.