I Forge Iron

My progress as a beginner

Hello All, 

Just wanted to share my progress here with the leaves I have been working on. Over the past four days I started my first attempt at making leaves. 

Many of you are capable of amazing leaves, seeing them inspired me to give it a try. It was refreshing to try something other than basic tapers. 

I'd also appreciate any tips or tricks you may have on making them. 

My very first attempt 

IMG_9175.jpg

Hook.jpg

Second attempt

IMG_9179.jpg

Third

IMG_9212.jpg

IMG_9215.jpg

Fourth

IMG_9222.jpg

IMG_9225.jpg

Added some shape, using a wood block

IMG_9228.jpg

IMG_9232.jpg

IMG_20140105_075124.jpg

"NOW your Logging"   :) 

That is an old saying that means your doing the right thing! 

Keep it up, and someday you will teach the very same thing you are doing! 

Keep on doing it Over and Over and Over again Correctly, that is the key. 

Thanks for sharing your progress and work product. 

Do you have any acid?  Wrought Iron?  I've made up several leaves in the past, though they weren't nearly as nice as your #4.  Draw out the stem really fine and bend it around a 1" rod... not-so-instant key fob. 

I use the acid to "plate" the metal.  1 part acid (muriatic or hydrochloric from the hardware store's masonry section) to 2 parts water, drop a penny in.  The copper from the penny gets transfered to the leaf when you put it in to soak.  On wrought iron, this creates a very neat effect when you leave the wrought in for awhile.  Works with galvanized metal, too.  Just remember that it ruins the acid for anything else as everything that goes in will be coated.

They'd have to be a really really really good friend before I'd "give" them one, though.  Most folks just don't appreciate all that goes into something that appears so simple and they tend to loose them or get rid of them once they get bored with it.

I do not, maybe down the road I will delve into wrought iron. But for now my ample supply of mild steel will have to do. I will be working on stems soon. I kind of like the little square stock left on the end, like how yesteryear forge does theirs. Gives people an idea of the size stock used to make that leaf. 

You make a point on giving things away. Most folks generally do not appreciate anything hand made enough, whether the item is sub par or flat out amazing. But yes, the ones I will be giving them to, are either good friends- or people that have given me things as well in the passed. 

Mudman you are going in the right direction. What type of hammer are you using? To me your hammer marks are very sharp.the one hint that I use is first draw a short taper. Then move back on the bar the length you want the leave do a second taper but only working two sides of the metal on the far edge of the anvil. This will give you metal you will need then flatten it on the diamond. Then using your peen to spread the back while keeping the end pointed. hope this helps.

Mudman looks like you are making great progress. you might want to have the lateral veins going away from the stem just do the oppesite side you are now and they will be that way.

Thank you. Oh man, what a knuckle head! I didn't even realize the vein direction, my hand just naturally wanted to go that way.

Mudman you are going in the right direction. What type of hammer are you using? To me your hammer marks are very sharp.the one hint that I use is first draw a short taper. Then move back on the bar the length you want the leave do a second taper but only working two sides of the metal on the far edge of the anvil. This will give you metal you will need then flatten it on the diamond. Then using your peen to spread the back while keeping the end pointed. hope this helps.

Thank you sir. I used this beautiful hammer Dave Custer made me.

IMG_9203.jpg

I will do that next, I've been flattening on the flat instead of diamond. Also using a guillotine fuller to mark off instead of a 2 side taper. 

Thank you again for the advice. I am having fun seeing the progress and dramatic differences each leaf.

Mudman you have given us the oppertunity to chat in a positive and productive way.

I believe this site was created for just this type of positive banter to be exchanged.

you are not only showing positive improvement in your forging, but you are also

setting an example for other new blacksmiths of how to accept positive input from

more expernced members.

This makes it a Win,Win for all of us!

With your attitude, you will succeed as a skilled blacksmith.

My best to you!

Wow talk about progress!good job!

I love the hammer too.

All the best
Andy

Thanks Andy!

The hammer is fantastic, I could not be happier with it. Dave did a great job forging it. It's a joy to work with, balance is perfect.

Mudman you have given us the oppertunity to chat in a positive and productive way.

I believe this site was created for just this type of positive banter to be exchanged.

you are not only showing positive improvement in your forging, but you are also

setting an example for other new blacksmiths of how to accept positive input from

more expernced members.

This makes it a Win,Win for all of us!

With your attitude, you will succeed as a skilled blacksmith.

My best to you!

Thank you very much! I'm doing my best to absorb everyone's input. The third and fourth leaves were a result of advice from Matt at MP knives. 

It was really awesome of him. In fact I had been posting my progress on a bushcraft forum- Matt noticed my work and actually gave me a call with tips and tricks. It made a huge improvement for me immediately. 

I was also quite thankful that another smith would actually reach out via phone, despite being on the other side of the U.S.

Things like this, make me thankful to be part of the art- it truly is a blessing. No egos from people, and no one talking down on me. 

Nice job, I attended a hammer in with David Robertson, he showed about 20 ways to make simple leaf shapes, I was never the same after that, now that you are beginning to see the shapes you can produce, experiment. Don't let the failures drag you down, learn from them and improve. I hammered one out the other day and the end split where I chiseled to deeply, so I did a RDC....Rapid design change, and incorporated the split! What the heck? Anyway, keep at it, you are doin good!

Great work, mate. I would be proud of those leaves. #4 is a great shape. I worried a bit about the direction of the veins in your earlier attempt. I use a rounded chisel for the veins in my leaves, as I find it easier to control their direction and spacing. But there are many ways to achieve success, and if the result is pleasing, what matter the method?

With my rose leaves I usually give them a brush with a brass ski brush while hot to give them a bronzy, burnished effect. Rose leaves are a little tricky because they have a fine serated edge, like saw teeth. I can do that with a sharp chisel, but perhaps someone has a better way they would like to pass on. I have made hundreds of leaves now, but I think you learn a little something with every one you make.

Thanks guys!

I thoroughly enjoy making leave right now. As said, I'm learning something new every time. How different lengths and widths can be achieved is awesome! 

Here is yesterdays attempt. My fifth leaf- using the tips and trips you guys gave me.

Using a two side taper, instead of the fullering tool as with the previous leaves. 

IMG_9349.jpg

IMG_9350.jpg

Flattened on the diamond instead of the flat this time. I noticed it made the leaf much wider and with less effort. Also put the veins in the CORRECT direction this time. lol
IMG_9351.jpg

IMG_9352.jpg
Put some life into it, by adding a domed shape to the leaf with a wood block and ball peen. The poorly bent stem, was a result of my propane running out. So I ended up making and emergency bend at basically black heat. 
IMG_9355.jpg

IMG_9359.jpg

Hopefully I can get my tanks filled up soon! Just when I was starting to get comfortable making the leaves, my fuel source is completely empty. Dang!

One lesson I learned quick (and the hard way) is that your propane always runs out at the most inopportune time.  I don't know how Murphy does it, but he never fails!  Even with a second tank on standby, I often forget to refill the first tank before the second tank runs out.  Ugh!

One lesson I learned quick (and the hard way) is that your propane always runs out at the most inopportune time.  I don't know how Murphy does it, but he never fails!  Even with a second tank on standby, I often forget to refill the first tank before the second tank runs out.  Ugh!

lol yes, this is EXACTLY what happened. I reach for the second tank and realized it was empty too. I'm thinking of getting two more 40# tanks. A place I go to for fuel charged 2.67 a gallon if I get more than 20 gallons. Everywhere else around here is 3 dollars or more.