I Forge Iron

when you go somewhere else to forge, what do you take with you?

Dabbsterinn

so, tomorrow (hopefully) i'll go to another hammer-in at the local smithy, and yesterday i put together a neat travelling kit, thought i might start a thread here where you can show us your travel kit, learn from others or be the spark of an idea for someone

anyways, here's mine

sml_gallery_29278_9_334453.jpg

hammers, more detail on them you can find in the hammer section of the gallery

sml_gallery_29278_10_516659.jpg

tongs

sml_gallery_29278_22_90265.jpg

chisels, drifts and punches

sml_gallery_29278_3_462381.jpg

files

sml_gallery_29278_3_166537.jpg

misc. things

sml_gallery_29278_3_421630.jpg

safety equipment

med_gallery_29278_3_148757.jpg

the entire set, for size referances

sml_gallery_29278_3_103327.jpg

and the bag it surprisingly fits in this entire thing weighs 14kg/30 lbs

Are you going as a visitor or as a demonstrator?

As a visitor, I would use the tools on site. Using the tools on site will force your to adapt and use what is available. It is a learning experience. You will find tools you like and dislike, and different ways to do things. If you really need a tool, make it and then donate it for sale or donate it to the site.  

If you are doing a demonstration, may I suggest you plan out the entire demo, practice it at home and pre-cut all the stock you will be using to the proper size. As you have practiced the demo project you now KNOW what tools will be needed. Those are the tools you will take with you.

If you have left over time, or someone shows interest and you need a different tool, use the site tools or make the tool.

One thing for sure, paint ALL of your tools YOUR color. It helps in collecting your tools at the end of the demo.

It helps to always have one or two quick projects tucked in your pocket. When an extra presentation is needed, you will be prepared and ready.  

Always take half again as much drinking water as you will need and use. Get a 5 gallon bucket of fresh water when you get on site for burns, quenching, etc.

Keep a candy bar or two, some aloe gel and bandages in your box at all times..

going as a visitor,

they have pretty much the same tools i have, it's not exactly a tool rich shop, i think all they have that i don't is a swage block and top and bottom tools

i've burned my initals into the handles of my hammers and written then on other things

they have aloe gel at the spot, but you're right, i should have some with me, i always make sure i have enough of drinkable water and something to chew, and the smithy supplies us with water

thank you for your contribution, and reminding me of the aloe gel

ah, we're probably having a small misunderstanding, this isn't exactly a demo, it's just a few blacksmiths meeting up at the smithy, a hammer-in i think it's called, but i'll take a camera with me, notebook and pencils are a good idea either way, it helps sometimes when explaining to someone else what you're doing or asking for advice if you can draw it up

varries from time to time as some people have more equipment available than others.  For instance I only take this hammer when teaching beginners blacksmithing classes with my guild. 

http://ipneto.deviantart.com/art/Hammer-from-the-Brian-Brazeal-class-283343787

But then there are also days and events where this is what I bring

http://s48.photobucket.com/user/nicrom/media/IMG_5376_zps3c780abf.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

http://s48.photobucket.com/user/nicrom/media/IMG_5443_zpseaed914b.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Greetings Dabb,

Sounds like this is your first hammer in...   Don't make it so obvious that your put your name on every tool...  Blacksmiths never make off with others tools.  It kind of shows the others that you are the new kid on the block...  No matter how many tools you take it seems like you should have brought just one more..LOL  ..  You will do just fine ..  You should have seen my first...  The old pickup was a draggin..   The best advice I can give is have fun and learn as much as you can...   Good luck

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Happy New Year,

Glenn is correct!!! Your notebook/scrapbook/scribler/sketchbook is the most important, next to your digital McCamera. When your rememory gets a little slow, it is worth GOLD to look at your notes. How did they do that??? Which part did they do first (other than the toilet). Etc. Etc.

You can't take enough NOTES!! and Sketches!!

I find that by drawing out the progress, you will understand which part you missed and then can ask, while the person is there to ask!!!

Neil

Greetings Dabb,

Sounds like this is your first hammer in...   Don't make it so obvious that your put your name on every tool...  Blacksmiths never make off with others tools.  It kind of shows the others that you are the new kid on the block...  No matter how many tools you take it seems like you should have brought just one more..LOL  ..  You will do just fine ..  You should have seen my first...  The old pickup was a draggin..   The best advice I can give is have fun and learn as much as you can...   Good luck

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

3rd hammer in actually, and i labelled them just so i don't accidentally take someone else's tools and accidents do happen, and I actually know most of the smiths there and they all know that im relatively new to this, so that doesn't bother me, and i've worked with them a few times in other events

Don't make it so obvious that your put your name on every tool...  Blacksmiths never make off with others tools.  It kind of shows the others that you are the new kid on the block... 

Not to be argumentative, but I'd suggest changing the above to, "Blacksmiths never intentionally make off with others' tools. 

Marking your tools is always a good idea, as if one happens to end up at a new home, it can find it's way back. 

Unless you have plenty of extra spare time and materials to replace lost tools, marking them is a good idea.

Sudden storm blowing up at a demo/or just late end of the day, fast shutdown with everybodys tools having been shared around all day, folks not knowing who's is who's as they dump stuff in buckets.  Can happen very easily without malice.

I like Patrick's method: his tool colour is *hot* *pink*; other smiths don't even borrow his tools!  (and at 6'4"?  with a beautiful wife and a handful of kids nobody casts aspersions on his masculinity either!)

have a lot of tools in the trunk of your car but just take in what you think you will need

would if I had a car, that's the problem with being a 16 year old blacksmith, fortunately, it's a local hammer-in, so i'll just be dropped off there and picked up when im done, I will keep this in mind though when I get a car

Sounds like fun, I love just getting together with the guys. Not having a preplanned demonstration makes taking pictures even more important. If it were preplanned you'd know what was being done so you wouldn't be surprised by good or bad things happening. It really sucks to see something you never thought of done and not have a way to document it. A camera is also even better for those, "Don't do it THAT way" moments, a pic or two may even be good for a little blackmail. <grin>

I figure if I don't have WAY too much with me I didn't bring enough. You probably have enough tools, take some stock and any  ideas you have that may need a little help, say a striker or ideas.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 weeks later...

take some stock and any  ideas you have that may need a little help, say a striker or ideas.

Frosty The Lucky.

good idea, but the smithy, which actually is a part of the museum here as far as I know, supplies us with stocks of all sizes and lengths, if you're willing enough to dig through the heap off things, abandoned projects and scrap there

seeing how we're not really that many smiths here, we all know each other somewhat, so if we'd need a striker, we'd just ask someone who doesn't seem like he's doing anything and in need of something to do, and I'm also very active in seeking advice there, and all of the smiths I've met have gladly shared plenty of information, thanks for the ideas though

As it is your first event. play it cool, just take a notebook and camera. Enjoy the experience. Oh yes, take some cash as there will most likely be something you want to follow you back home. 

I've already stated a few times earlier that this is my 3rd or 4th hammer-in there, thanks for the concern though, i'll take a notebook and my phone seeing how my camera is almost prehistoric (digitally seen) and a notebook already is in the kit, I have a hard time putting my thoughts into words so it helps to be able to scribble something up, drawing is also really relaxing for me if things don't go as they should

good idea with the money though, still having problems with getting my Thorshammer looking as good as i want it to, so i might resort to buying one, also nice supporting the smithing community, I know first hand that nothing empties one's wallet faster than a good looking tool